Open baffle cinder block stand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm collecting my thoughts for a more detailed blog post but wanted to share photos using a cinder block on top of H-frames to angle the baffle. I'm having a blast rolling drivers the last few months with this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 775
The stone can certainly be tweeked. I will likely cover the bottom with cork or wrap it in rubber from the art supply store.

The stone is made from a special material that infuses the sound with greater resolution - highs are higher, lows are lower and the midrange sounds realer. The material used to make the stone is called c0n-KRT and it's sourced from various stones and produced from a unique mixture.

I'd love for you to try the 18" Mjk Goldwoods H-frames if you ever get a chance. Would be neat to read your impressions and comparisons, plus they dig some hz deeper.. Cinder blocks ruled my stereo and book shelf decore for many years back in the day too.. :)

DaveCan, the driver now cost about $100! I'd love to hear it but will have to wait. If it's as good or better than what many consider a lowly Alpha 15 than it must be great.

Goldwood GW-1858 18" Pro Woofer

Here's another couple of H-frame woofers to consider... also pricey.

New: 15" Open Baffle Bass Woofers - PureAudioProject

Allowing the Alpha 15 to intrude too much into the full range driver's response does spoil the sound. But when dialing in the crossover and gain as you do with any powered subwoofer care must be taken to get the best blend. When everything is dialed in correctly the sound is about the best I've ever heard. Back in my audiophile days when I was constantly trading amps and preamps I was able to hear several different subwoofers. Only the H-frames (using Alpha 15s) have me craving long listening sessions. Feels like I'm basting in wonderfully warm and musical bass.

I see others also like the form factor of an open baffle above an H-frame. It ain't bad!

Last edited:
as much as that was somewhat tongue in cheek i'm sure the added mass does significantly change things.
i asked about measurements because i do think that there would be a difference between your setup with and without the block i guess i'll have to experiment with this meself.

i do like the bare bones simplicity of the setup and i'm sure auditioning drivers without the "box" is liberating.

p.s. if you decide to clean out that closet you send the cast offs to let me know:D

Last edited:
>>> i'm sure the added mass does significantly change things.

Adding mass is a good idea. I will admit, when the block was on top of the H-frame it sounded really good. I'm not sure how much different it sounds with and without but maybe I'll give a listen later in the week. I really just wanted a block heavy enough so the baffles don't tip or slide.

>>> i do like the bare bones simplicity of the setup and i'm sure auditioning drivers without the "box" is liberating.

It's so simple I don't even think about it anymore. I just want to build more baffles.

>>> if you decide to clean out that closet...

When things settle down over here I probably will. Today I signed my divorce papers!

DaveCan, the driver now cost about $100! I'd love to hear it but will have to wait. If it's as good or better than what many consider a lowly Alpha 15 than it must be great.

Goldwood GW-1858 18" Pro Woofer

Here's another couple of H-frame woofers to consider... also pricey.

New: 15" Open Baffle Bass Woofers - PureAudioProject

Allowing the Alpha 15 to intrude too much into the full range driver's response does spoil the sound. But when dialing in the crossover and gain as you do with any powered subwoofer care must be taken to get the best blend. When everything is dialed in correctly the sound is about the best I've ever heard. Back in my audiophile days when I was constantly trading amps and preamps I was able to hear several different subwoofers. Only the H-frames (using Alpha 15s) have me craving long listening sessions. Feels like I'm basting in wonderfully warm and musical bass.

I see others also like the form factor of an open baffle above an H-frame. It ain't bad!

Yes I've seen those new pure audio drivers, looks like they would be a good option to the Hawthorne Augies..

I hear you about keeping the H-Frame sound blended to the fullrange. I just use mine as subs/augmenters and they are really very nice used that way.

The 18"s get 10 or so hz deeper, but then again they are a bit bigger too.. Inside dims are 20"x20"x16" so still not too bad if one had the room..

Having been there myself some years back congrats on signing your divorce papers, at least now you've finished the home stretch and can move on.

I don't have the space to keep the speaker away from the corner but I have tried it. It sounds good either way. But tucked in the corner it's also very enjoyable even if it's preventing ultimate performance. Remember, it's not like a boxed speaker that begins to boom when placed in the corner. In my experience, as long as you have about a foot behind the H-frame you get to hear much of it's goodness.

My powered subwoofer sounded terribly bloated in the same position. I don't use it anymore. H-frame sounded much more like real music.

I don't have the space to keep the speaker away from the corner but I have tried it. It sounds good either way. But tucked in the corner it's also very enjoyable even if it's preventing ultimate performance. Remember, it's not like a boxed speaker that begins to boom when placed in the corner. In my experience, as long as you have about a foot behind the H-frame you get to hear much of it's goodness.

My powered subwoofer sounded terribly bloated in the same position. I don't use it anymore. H-frame sounded much more like real music.

I have also tried isobaric and closed box. They all sound boomy, and if I eq that, then the sound is just flat and boring. OB is the best in my livingroom. I do have a kind of U frame, but with fours woofers in each, in an odd arrangement. Close to the rear wall makes it sound a bit strange. The rearwall effect is quite obvious, and sound like some kind of frequency modulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.