Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2015, 06:02 PM   #21
methodarn is offline methodarn  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Location: Moscow, Russia. Hope someday I find warmer place :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
high end SE EL34
El34 hi-end, is it possible?
Old 3rd November 2015, 06:19 PM   #22
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]I find that full range drivers need eq, always.[QUOTE]
YMMV, but I used a stereo 31 band graphic eq on my cast frame 12's but after a long break in time pulled it from the rack as they didn't need it anymore .
I'm thinking enough vibration hours loosened up the whizzer cone or cone next to the whizzer and alleviated a couple of peaks I was notching out with the eq.
Just used a simple contour circuit to tame the rising high end .
Old 3rd November 2015, 06:30 PM   #23
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
Bigun, still 1 open backed speaker ?
Yes, just the one. Stereo sounds 'false' to me - a novelty when I do hear it but not my preferred listening.

I have tried a couple of times now to install a back-panel to the box - it was designed for it and I fabricated one for it. Each time I bolt it on, the sound becomes boring. So clearly, my preference is for some non-idealities of frequency response from open back box, and for some ambiance from the sound also emanating from the back of the driver.

I always thought I would prefer clean and pure, seems my ears/brain say otherwise.

Oh, and it sounds good with both SS and tube amps. With my TGM7 150W SS amp the bass is very tight. With my tube amp it's less tight but more engaging perhaps, due to lower damping factor.

I keep thinking about building another speaker, that's why you see me lurking on this part of the forum, but I'm not sure what to build that will be better than the AN15 in the open back box. What I would like is a more seamless top-end, the treble dispersion is a little more complex thanks to whizzer and phase plug - but it's only a minor thing - besides, I could not give up the dynamics and bass of the large cone. No idea if there's another cone out there that could do it all ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 3rd November 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Mr Daniel is offline Mr Daniel  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
One must be very careful with Audio Nirvana's published T/S parameters.
I have owned both the super 12 and super 8 stamped frame drivers, and besides the fact that they sounded dreadful (tried several enclosures and amps, including a high end SE EL34), the T/S parameters were all over the place.
David is very good at marketing his products but the quality and consistency at the time (some 4 years ago) was really lacking...
Never tried the horn ones though.
Let us know how they sound if you pull the trigger.
Regards,
I agree with all the above. In my case It's not good when all 3 drivers make a buzzing noise after receiving them. David did take care of me but, am still shy on pulling the trigger on buying another A.N. Product after he just started selling his 8 inch stamped frame full range driver's years ago that this happened. Jm

Last edited by Mr Daniel; 3rd November 2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:27 PM   #25
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
Bigun, still 1 open backed speaker ?

I finally found what I'd meant about covering the backside of an open baffle with foam.

Click the image to open in full size.
I did this a few years ago but didn't have the effect I was hoping for.
Old 6th November 2015, 07:22 AM   #26
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Been a while since I looked at those Audio Nirvana things. The 6.5 Classic looks very interesting. Hmmmmmmm...
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:58 AM   #27
DIYBras is offline DIYBras  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Yes, just the one. Stereo sounds 'false' to me - a novelty when I do hear it but not my preferred listening.

I have tried a couple of times now to install a back-panel to the box - it was designed for it and I fabricated one for it. Each time I bolt it on, the sound becomes boring. So clearly, my preference is for some non-idealities of frequency response from open back box, and for some ambiance from the sound also emanating from the back of the driver.

I always thought I would prefer clean and pure, seems my ears/brain say otherwise.

Oh, and it sounds good with both SS and tube amps. With my TGM7 150W SS amp the bass is very tight. With my tube amp it's less tight but more engaging perhaps, due to lower damping factor.

I keep thinking about building another speaker, that's why you see me lurking on this part of the forum, but I'm not sure what to build that will be better than the AN15 in the open back box. What I would like is a more seamless top-end, the treble dispersion is a little more complex thanks to whizzer and phase plug - but it's only a minor thing - besides, I could not give up the dynamics and bass of the large cone. No idea if there's another cone out there that could do it all ?
I'm also used to think I needed ultra-clean but I discovered something: with too clean speakers I never relax, always trying to chase bugs in response, and cleaner the thing more I perceive colorations in the speaker! Strange but true. With fullranges (or wideband large 2-way) I forget to mess up and concentrates in music.
Same with amplifiers to me.

About Audio Nirvanas, I measured some 8" models (Cast Frame and stamped), and the AN 10" Cast Frame, and at least one thing I can say about them (no, is not about the response ): their motor is not only huge, is well made. Their THD in bass is low, lower than several long throw desings (but with less Xmax limit, of course), and perceived IMD is LOWER than some composite 2-ways!! And even with several break-up, normal for all full-ranges (but in different levels from maker to maker), the high range THD is fair-to-low. And probalby/perhaps/maybe, due to very low Le, these speakers presents some first class low flux modulation, and perhaps explain the low perceived IMD.
And some guys always say to don't bother with driver THD, but in my book driver THD is too high to dismiss and NEEDs to be checked. Results can be surprising, like in these Audio Nirvanas (well, most people are expecting horrific/very poor THD in these designs, but I invite them to measure before).
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:55 PM   #28
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm one of the people who regards THD as useless -but that's because it's lumped sum of all the distortion products & therefore tells you nothing of value. Individual distortion levels (2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) on the other hand can tell you a lot, so are well worth looking at.
Old 22nd February 2016, 02:11 PM   #29
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

My experience with those drivers says that their motors are actually wimpy.
Not only is their Qts around twice as the one quoted in their spec sheets, but the frequency response has a 10-15db upward tilt between mid and high frequencies.
with these facts in mind, I think that looking at any kind of distortion graph is a moot point.
Old 22nd February 2016, 02:25 PM   #30
DIYBras is offline DIYBras  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I'm one of the people who regards THD as useless -but that's because it's lumped sum of all the distortion products & therefore tells you nothing of value. Individual distortion levels (2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) on the other hand can tell you a lot, so are well worth looking at.
I'm 100% fully agree here...
My "oops" (my bad): trying to reduce the text, so I quoted "THD" (maybe I need to quote nHD or HD)...
Is very common these errors in my texts (even in Portuguese)... maybe why I only subscribed at foruns "late" in 2015, 20+ years after my start with DIY.
And one more thing: normally the THD quotes don't weight the HD spectrum so eg. some offensive 7H, witch occurs at rather low level, don't change the total HD indicator.

Last edited by DIYBras; 22nd February 2016 at 02:33 PM.

Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these?Hide this!Advertise here!