1808 Speaker Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're welcome!

No, you apparently don't have the room nor the desire to build one if the Karlson is too much woodworking.

I'm saying it's what I do when there's a choice. Indeed, when I design MLTLs for low Qt drivers [< ~0.4 Qts], I design based on a ~0.4 Qts that yields a convenient 'rule-of-thumb' Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs to ensure an adequate amount of net Vb for fine tuning with EQ and/or damping and/or raising tuning and/or turning into a low Qtc sealed alignment.

It's a lot easier to 'shrink' a cab than 'stretch' it and why I ignore room gain, IM distortion, etc., in my designs for others unless I know the person's musical listening habits, the room and electronics.

While on the subject, short MLTLs aren't, they're just high aspect ratio reflexes, though usually a bit better damped due to being larger, lower tuned than your basic T/S max flat alignment, but until its aspect ratio is high enough to require re-sizing the vent [depends on driver's specs] there's not enough 1/4 WL pipe action to qualify as [ML] TLs.

That said, with some drivers I prefer the shorter cabs [down to 36"], though the majority here that built both it and its 48" variant of an old Jordan 'FR' driver much preferred the latter. Later still, another designer made it even longer, tuned lower IIRC and it became the one to build; proving once again that in at least some speaker design circles, 'bigger is better' [BIB] ;).

Anyway, if you want to go the shorter, smaller route, you could do worse by doing like the pioneers and ignore Qt and instead use Vas/1.44 and tune to Fs, then use tone controls to fine tune it in room.

With today's low Vas drivers the cab will be small and tuned low enough to have the kind of 'punchy' mid-bass, rolled off bass that often blends well in room when located up against a wall or in a corner.

GM

No, you apparently don't have the room nor the desire to build one if the Karlson is too much woodworking.

Are you confusing me with someone else?

I have seen the Karlson in passing but don't know anything about its abilities vs BR/MLTL. I would be curious to hear if you think Karlsons are better.

My plan was to use 4*Sd for the area and tune the height and port to get somewhere around 40 Hz tuning. As I read in the AMLTL thread the line is blurred between BR and MLTL. So I was going to start with BR to approximate size, vent, etc and then use King's MLTL software to refine the model.

Like I said, not yet sure about Karlson and if there is a way to model one.

I will be using a carpenter/cabinet maker for the labor so I could accommodate any design. I appreciate your advice WRT possible dimensions.

Hmm, yes, WRT the Karlson, though your width restriction doesn’t leave much room for a single driver app and go low with any authority, but a ‘Karlsonator’? may work as it uses a long TL to replace the K’s multiple reflex chambers, which will allow it to be narrow, yet tall and/or deep. XRK971 has an AkAbak design routine for the different ‘K’ alignments, so contact him for more info.

Playing 'catch-up' postings across multiple forums/websites + PMs with similar type apps in the 'wee-wee' hours combined with a failing memory and not enough time to rescan each thread before posting sometimes trips me up.

WRT horn loading, [mid] bass horns dictate room layout, not the other way round, so your various dimensional restrictions, low corner gain BW precludes a successful horn implementation.

WRT the AMLTL, I haven’t played with it, so no clue how accurate/consistent it is over a wide range of driver specs, but with a little thought, you can use MJK’s classic TL alignment tables to design the basic box and use a BR program to find the necessary vent size:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf
http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables_Calculator_3_3_09.xls

The thread line is only blurred between BR and MLTL until the aspect ratio is high enough to obviously impact vent size for a given Fb.

Is MJK selling his software again? If not, then legally, only someone with it can sim it for you.

FYI: some of the basics of fine tuning whizzer cone drivers: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...aiwan-4-dual-cone-speakers-6.html#post4347091

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.