Metronome build inquiry/ for Dayton Audio PS 220

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a pair of Dayton Audio PS 220, that I purchased a couple of months ago. I have just put them into their ported box to start the break-in process. I have been quite interested in building the Metronome enclosures, and I plan on doing so, soon, with the PS 220.

My challenge is the exact measurements. I have looked over the page for the Metronome, on Planet 10's site, and the plan they show for the Hemp FR8 is listed. I have compared the T/S parameters, and these speakers specs are incredibly similar.

So, I am wondering if anyone might have the exact panel dimensions and angles???

Thank you in advance. :)

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your responses. XRK971, I would greatly appreciate that, a lot. :)

I have done a ton of reading surrounding this over the last 4 months, and, of course, I have read a bunch of very, very informative posts by Dave and the rest of your experienced guys.

I will now shut up, and listen. ;):)

GM

Joined 2003
So, I am wondering if anyone might have the exact panel dimensions and angles???

Greets!

Technically, the Hemp8 Met is too small based on published specs, though if in a small room or up against a wall it's probably fine since it mainly just has a good mid-bass, but scaling it up [1:12.14] to a 1500 cm^2 SL = a 123.56 cm^2 SO yields a flat response to ~42 Hz, hence more tuning flexibility. For flattest response based on published specs, use a 75 cm^2 x 3.8 cm long vent.

GM

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Design for PS220-8 in Met-like Obelisk

The design I arrived at is tuned to 55Hz which should get you a good kick drum fundamental. It is 90dB sensitive (after baffle step losses) and has an f3 of 52Hz. The baffle suffers from a lot of baffle step losses so a BSC is needed (1.6mH + 8R in parallel), the baffle also produces a diffraction bump that is quite large in the mid upper bass from 350Hz to 700Hz. So, optionally, you can add this notch circuit to tame it: 2.0mH + 7.2R + 68uF (all in parallel and connected in series with the BSC, I put it before the BSC). With all these passives in place you have a relatively flat +/-2dB response from 55Hz on up (not accounting for the driver's inherent response variations like breakup peaks etc). I think anytime you can get a single full range driver to hit 90dB at 60Hz, you are doing very good. Use a non-polar electrolytic for the 68uF (or a motor run industrial oil-filled cap if you don't like electrolytics).

Here is the physical design:

Base is 14.0in wide x 6.0in deep
Top is 5.0in wide x 1.5in deep
60.0in tall with driver at 30.0in from top

vent is 4 in sch 40 PVC (4.0in ID) x 2.0in long mounted on bottom and sitting on 2in tall legs to allow vent to escape.

Add moderate polyfill or fiberglass/rockwool stuffing above driver, and line at least 2 adjacent walls below driver with felt or denim carpet insulation pad. Altenatively, *very* loose teased out polyfill wads can be placed below driver.

Predicted response for speaker far from walls (ignore ripples above 300Hz - the stuffing and wall liner will take care of that as it is not modeled):
508058d1444395980-metronome-build-inquiry-dayton-audio-ps-220-ps220met-freq-1m.png

If you place it too close to a wall (like 2 ft), you get some suck-out at 130Hz:
508059d1444396124-metronome-build-inquiry-dayton-audio-ps-220-ps220met-freq-1m-24in-wall.png

If you ran it full range with no BSC and no notch filter, you may get something closer to this (far from walls):
508060d1444396411-metronome-build-inquiry-dayton-audio-ps-220-ps220met-freq-1m-no-bsc-no-notch.png

If you ignore wall/floor reflections and baffle step losses, no diffraction, you get this (and no BSC or notch circuit):
508063d1444396784-metronome-build-inquiry-dayton-audio-ps-220-ps220met-freq-1m-no-reflection.png

Attachments

• PS220MET-Freq-1m.png
    PS220MET-Freq-1m.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 276
  • PS220MET-Freq-1m-24in-wall.png
    PS220MET-Freq-1m-24in-wall.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 289
  • PS220MET-Freq-1m-no-BSC-no-Notch.png
    PS220MET-Freq-1m-no-BSC-no-Notch.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 283
  • PS220MET-Freq-1m-no-reflection.png
    PS220MET-Freq-1m-no-reflection.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.