Break-in methods for new drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2015, 02:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Break-in methods for new drivers?

I'm looking for advice on how to "break-in" new drivers. I am aware that the T/S params can change at least slightly. This would seem to be important for the purist, who wishes to have the true specs of his drivers before he designs the enclosure for it. Do I just mount them on a box or panel and exercise them for X hours? Is it really that important? While I have been known to purchase (slighly) more expensive drivers, the present victims under consideration are the horrors I bought back in the spring for a future line array project

4.5 Inch 10W 8 Ohm Full Range Pincushion Speaker | XF-119-208 (XF119208) | Distributed By MCM

Why "pincushion"? I guess you guys can "needle" me for my miserly purchases
Old 3rd October 2015, 02:31 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A volt or two @ lowish frequency, maybe 10Hz to 30Hz for 48hours should exercise the surround and spider.

I have checked a 15" & an 18" before and after 24hours of exercise. The Fr does change considerably.
It also reverts nearly back to factory state if left on the shelf for a long time.

I remember my AE1's changing in the LF over a period of many weeks.
Maybe because I didn't exercise them.

If I'm going to do T/S parameter measurements, I will do the 48hours run in every time.

Last edited by AndrewT; 3rd October 2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 3rd October 2015, 04:11 PM   #3
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that .
Don't know how people can even argue against , speakers change so much after exercise.
Old 3rd October 2015, 04:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not aware of any debate on speakers, it is however news to me that they revert to spec if left unused. Now, off to break in my new interconnects (joking!) :*) I am in process of applying Danmar Varnish to the collection of $2.24/each drivers (why not? I have it on hand); if it works for expensive drivers it will...at least make the home smell like pine oil for the duration
Old 3rd October 2015, 05:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It might be worthwhile to read Tom Nousaine's urban legend article in The Audio Critic #29 if interested in another perspective.
Old 3rd October 2015, 06:44 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

pincushion would refer to the outer shape of the stamped metal basket frame
Old 3rd October 2015, 07:05 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
I am aware that the T/S params can change at least slightly. This would seem to be important for the purist, who wishes to have the true specs of his drivers before he designs the enclosure for it.
Do be mindful that T/S are not scalars, but curves. The numbers you get can be equally valid and quite different depending on the kit you use to measure them. Largely differenses due to drive level. These differences mostly balance out so that alignments are still OK.

T/S also change with the weather (mostly the temp & the air pressure).

I have rarely had any issues using the factory data to design boxes. I use T/S to match drivers into pairs, unit-to-unit variance can be +/- 10% (best manufactures) near +/- 20% for good manufacturers, and worse that that for lesser ones. I have measured many 1,000 of drivers.

We only build boxes that are fairly tolerent of T/S changes.

That said, all drivers go onto a break-in bench where low level FM is played thru them for at least 200-300 hrs before i measure them.

dave
Old 5th October 2015, 12:28 AM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
It also reverts nearly back to factory state if left on the shelf for a long time.

I remember my AE1's changing in the LF over a period of many weeks.
Maybe because I didn't exercise them.
I built some Alpair 10.3 Pencil's for a friend. He says they need a short break-in if he doesn't play them for a couple of weeks.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 5th October 2015, 09:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello.

To break in speaker, I use a frequency 5hz for 24 hours and 25 Hz for at least 48 more hours. I put maximum power before hearing any mechanical noise.For example, here are the differences I got:

FE103 SOL 103 hz -> 94 hz
FE127e (nos) 94 Hz -> 73 Hz
FF125 (nos) 85 Hz -> 75 Hz

Despite this, all the speakers are above the specifications.

I did not measured other parameters.
Old 5th October 2015, 09:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmister View Post
H I use a frequency 5hz for 24 hours and 25 Hz for at least 48 more hours.
FE103 SOL 103 hz -> 94 hz
FE127e (nos) 94 Hz -> 73 Hz
FF125 (nos) 85 Hz -> 75 Hz
Those speakers aren't going to reproduce 25 Hz, go figure 5 Hz

Hide this!Advertise here!