Does ohms matter in cabling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I hope all I well. I have a quick and easy question? If my speakers are 8 ohms and I buy a cable that is 7.3 ohms is this better the 4.06 ohms or 10 ohms? Does it do the amps or speakers any good? Or lighten their load of over heating? If this makes any sense? Jm

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Never heard of them ;) but I see they quote resistance as 'per km' which means that even the '10 ohm' only has a resistance of 0.01 ohms per metre.

So you are really buying these on personal choice, the resistance will have 'zero' impact on any potential cable copper losses assuming a typical length of speaker run.

Yes personal choice. The guy who sells them in the U.S. has the same brand amplifier / receiver as me. They are very cheap compared to the cables I use to sell and buy. So just trying out something new and different. Sorry I must of missed the ( per KM ) I just saw the word Ohms. Thanks for your help. Jm

Very thin cable will have an impact on the sound quality, twin bell wire often supplied with cheap stereos is absolutely appalling. However once you get up to wire with a CSA of about 2mm there won't be any more improvement due to the resistance.

I use 2.5 sq mm household mains wire, it's brilliant.

Very thin cable will have an impact on the sound quality, twin bell wire often supplied with cheap stereos is absolutely appalling. However once you get up to wire with a CSA of about 2mm there won't be any more improvement due to the resistance.

I use 2.5 sq mm household mains wire, it's brilliant.

I used to believe this too, once upon a time. The truth is; fun begins around 6 sqmm or 9awg as long as we talk solid core copper.

Thanks everyone. Again I will not buy $$$$$ wires. I think its all snake oil. Like ( HDMI) cables. It's all in 1's and 0's it doesn't matter how big or thick the cables are. What a joke. I use to work for a privately owned cable company. The sound was a very slight difference between wire's but, nothing to go from $350.00 a 8 foot pair terminated wires. Then with silver added to the wires plus $500.00 just for terminated ends in a 8 foot pair going up to $3,500. Well More metal doesn't mean better sound. Well any who. Thanks again Jm

Last edited:
For speakers in the home, buy 16AWG AC line cord from any hardware store. It's 50 cents a foot here in Portland. If the wire length is over 30ft., you might want to go with a heavier guage. Wire is rarely an issue. The bigger issue is the connectors and how the wires connect to the connectors.

If the connectors are plated with a gold alloy, they allegedly don't corrode at all over time. Most other metals do, and that damages the connection over enough time. If the wires are soldered to the connector, you've got it right. Those little set screws can come loose over time. Spending more than this on fancy cables is money down the toilet. I worked in Engineering at Tektronix and Dolby Labs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.