JX 92S Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Colin might also have suggestions for venting/ tuning of the enclosure shown

If they're light enough, they could even be hung on the wall flanking the TV screen using adjustable brackets that would provide for toe-in and "azimuth" adjustment.

Except for surround effects channels and sub woofers, I've always found best results with the acoustic center at approximate ear/level - normally when seated that ranges from 30-36" from the floor

Good to see you on here GM :)

The JX92S sounds best when listened off-axis, with the two driver axes crossing in front of the listening position. That way the stereo image is stable as you move left-right of the centre listening position.

Having said that, firing straight ahead will sound OK but the stereo imagery will be less than its best.

Greets!

Yeah, this is the standard for rising on axis systems with the amount of rise determining the fore/aft 'XO' point, though nearly always I've wound up with aiming the left speaker at the far right seat and vice versa, i.e. ~in line with the opposing channel.

Since this is a single round driver positioned off axis in the vertical plane, then moving them horizontally would normally be done to fine tune it, but stuck in furniture it's the seat that need moving fore/aft.

GM

Wow, that's low; ~36"-up has been my experience over the decades as most of the [involved] women prefer sitting off axis due to their generally superior HF hearing.

GM

yup, I'm a little guy by almost every metric, and when seated that's pretty much where my ears align - also I certainly suffer from deficient upper HF hearing beyond just age related deterioration, which might explain why I find on-axis to be less of an issue?

Wow, that's low; ~36"-up has been my experience over the decades as most of the [involved] women prefer sitting off axis due to their generally superior HF hearing.

GM

John Crabbe (editor of Hi-Fi News) used to suggest that having the speakers above ear level sounded better as it simulated the effect of listening in a concert hall to a greater degree. I don't know if this has ever been objectively tested but it's my preferred use for smaller speakers.

John Crabbe (editor of Hi-Fi News) used to suggest that having the speakers above ear level sounded better as it simulated the effect of listening in a concert hall to a greater degree. I don't know if this has ever been objectively tested but it's my preferred use for smaller speakers.

In short, agreed and well tested in cinema, prosound apps since the earliest days of 'talkies' and some sporadic DIY:

This is by far my preference and use to promote it way back when till I got banned from a then prominent HT forum for being a THX shill [speakers above the screen/TV] and later on a DIY forum where the majority of folks made it plain that tweeter ~seated ear height was best overall compromise, which IME is a major reason why WAF can be an issue [it's got to sound good to them too!], so nowadays limit 'voicing' my preference to [ML]TL alignments using large mid/HF horns where such positioning is the norm.

FWIW, my makeshift HT has a stereo pair of RS Minimus 7 laid down, angled down and parallel to the screen, spaced apart 65" woofer CTC to get ~ the desired time alignment and a whopping 28" on center above the top of the screen and 63" from the floor, which is only ~6.5 ft away from my ~38" seated ear height, so according to conventional wisdom, this would get me drummed off any forum if I promoted it, yet in my app it works far better than the 'de facto' speakers to the side or down below the screen layouts.

Frankly, short of behind the screen layouts, having dual mains speakers [one above, one below]/channel sounds best overall to me and a few others that auditioned the one I cobbled together in the early 90s after learning of Prof's Leach, Petronis patent application based on W.E.'s early cinema sound system layouts.

Later, several early HT forum members tried it on just the center channel to good effect to help with shelf, TV stand L/R speaker integration and/or [older] folks with speech intelligibility issues .

Sony did one at a local trade show in 2001? that garnered rave reviews too, though in retrospect it was probably more due to the three stacked pairs of their then SOTA front projectors [~$240 k retail] to create a super high def CRT that gave a 'taste' of the high def video to come than its audio system.

GM

In short, agreed and well tested in cinema, prosound apps since the earliest days of 'talkies' and some sporadic DIY....

In a former life I engineered classical music competitions broadcast live from Orchestra Hall in Detroit. The critical musical contribution of the back of the stage in width, height and power was immediately obvious even on the simplest solo instruments. IMO the music industry erred when it insisted on two extra channels behind the listener and demonstrated their value by mixing instruments never there in real life. Speakers three and four should have gone outside and above the main left and right speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.