Full range first build suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2015, 08:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full range first build suggestions

Hi there, extreme lurker here.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a first time speaker build.

I'd like to build a really nice looking pair of speakers with terrific dynamics and bass extension. Something similar in sound to the older Klipsch or Cerwin Vegas but hopefully with a somewhat smaller footprint.
If its super efficient and can run off a little tube amp then that's a bonus.

I have fairly advanced woodworking skills so any cabinet design should be possible. I'd like to keep the parts under $500.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 09:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
looking pair of speakers with terrific dynamics and bass extension
Hi, this surely belongs to multi way forum
as you fail in the typical miscomprehension that "fullrange" is to be attributed to the perceived sound rather than to the ( single) driver that has to make it.
Old 12th September 2015, 05:34 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm still a big fan of "FR" ( read single driver for most of the audio band) systems, but would have to agree with pico at least to the extent that you might want to research Hoffman's Iron Law - this is a good an explanation by a well respected loudspeaker manufacturer as I think you'll easily find:
Sensitivity and Hofman’s Iron Law, or “why you can’t have your cake and eat it too” ? Audioblog

short summary - pick any two of the following:

- deep bass
- high sensitivity
- small size (can refer to either driver or enclosure)

How large is the room this system would be playing in, and is the enclosure size constraint due to WAF? If so, then she should be consulted in the choice of design & finish

That said, you could do worse than Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 in a BLH such as the FHXL - all well within budget for an accomplished woodworker.

Last edited by chrisb; 12th September 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 13th September 2015, 04:42 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Hi, this surely belongs to multi way forum.......
Normally true, though with the exception of a smaller footprint unless built to fit into a corner to complete its expansion, a large front and back loaded [compound] horn for a high end Lowther or similar driver will theoretically meet his performance requirements as well as offer a bit of a challenge for his woodworking skills; otherwise, with 'only' a $500 budget for parts, especially if BB ply or similar wood is part of it, he will have to sacrifice both efficiency and the 'full-range' clarity of a Klipsch, CV.

GM

Last edited by GM; 13th September 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 13th September 2015, 05:48 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

This will challenge your wood working skills. 108dB sensitive and drivers don't cost a lot. Sounds great. Use the 3FE22 for the main full range driver and upgrade the 6.5in woofers to something with higher sensitivity and still stay in your $500 price cap.

Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.
Old 13th September 2015, 06:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmmm how can a speaker system get some sensitivity boost when the midrange is rated below or 90 dB/W/m ( 2.83 V for sensitivity err.... )

The woofer itself, if of "higher efficiency" collides with the
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychops View Post
bass extension.
as you'd need to reduce mass or...

The notion of "don't cost a lot" and "sounds great" is arbitrary

And wood, for making LS's is
only if
Old 13th September 2015, 09:27 PM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The horn loaded 3FE22 is 108dB. The mids or woofers are just 88dB in series parallel for 94dB at 2.83v. That is why I said to upgrade woofers or mids.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My old E-V 8SPC 8" full range drivers are rated at 95db eff.
They are in 1.1cf rear ported home brew cabinets
Bottom end rolls off quickly below 55hz.
Top end nose dives above 12Khz.
I use a 1" soft dome Vifa tweeter (94db eff), crossed over at 10Khz/first order, to extend treble out to 20Khz.

Unless you plan on using a 3/4 watt Darling tube amplifier, I've found that I can get loud volume, with as little as 2.5 watts from a pair of 6bq4/6aq5 SEP tube mono blocks with mid-90s db eff. drivers.

Steve
Old 14th September 2015, 04:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

This speaker kit should be inline with what the OP required, except it will be at approx $150 more than $500 for a pair. Otherwise I expect it to give a modern approach of that big sound in a reasonable footprint that he is looking for:

Fusion-12 Tempest DIY Sound Group

Hide this!Advertise here!