Need Fostex FE207E Phase plugs and amplifier advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,

I bought a pair of fe207e about 7 years ago and i still havn't done anything with them except from basic tests with an old yamaha amplifier out of an integrated sound card, which showed me what whizzer head ache feels like.

I now have a fiio DAC and will soon put them in OB probably paired with some sort of eminence sub and a tweeter. Was thinking of completely removing the whizzer but then i thought i would first try it with phase plugs and if that doesn't suit me, with a computer based DSP cutting the upper range and adding a tweeter.

My question is for those who've tried both types : Which phase plug sounds and feels better on the fe207e and on the fe206en, why not :

The Planet10 or the Decware ?

I can use some advice on what amp to buy, am looking at the modulus 86 but if you have a better idea like cheap (200-300$) tube amp which would sound better or some tube preamp for the modulus, i'd like to know. I am also interested if you know of some other amp that can sound better with these speakers.

I'm so happy with the sound of commercially available digital amps (SMSL, Topping, Dayton) but must figure out these DIY kits everyone seems to love. My expereince shows that Fostex (168z, 165k, 127e) likes digital as much as tube but none like solid state. Just a few clean watts brings these drivers to life.

I never heard the 207e but expect it would sound good on open baffle angled 20 degrees or so away from the listening area. Problem with Fostex (or any other driver with personality) is that if you don't like the sound you may never warm up to it.

Good luck! Many would love a 'vintage' 207e.

Vintage was ok until my head started crackling :). I listened to them in their boxes and loved the midrange except for the fact that they produced a quick headache. Would love to get rid of the resonance AND listen on axis.

I've seen mixed reviews on the chinese amps, would love to find out which sound best ( even 200-400 USD Chinese model factory upgraded or whatnot - rather than the 100$ which i need to upgrade myself ).

The same goes for a good DAC, whoever has experience with several models and can give me a fair conclusion ( Like M-dac, Irdac, chord, yulong, these came to mind, there are dozens of manufacturers and very few unbiased comparisons ). I'm looking for the 350$ dac that can beat the 1000$ one :)

Regarding the phase plugs my question is for those who tried the fe206/fe207e with planet10 / decware and maybe heard both phase plugs and compared the results.

So : Amp ( Lm3886/ lm3875/ lm1875 / even T2020 - maybe some comparison with audiophile(experienced) unbiased conclusion of better and a very short why ( i'm asking for fruits of your experience ). I am looking for what everyone is looking : wide deep soundstage, warm present mids, clear crisp highs with the real life thing on it. Least but not last - the same goes for a DAC. I know i said i'm using the fiio but i might get something better shortly. Who knows.

Bass is less important on the amp because i will be bi-amping.

Going back to amps : i found a grunding a9000 for about 250$. How does it compare to a topping or smsl ? It may be SS - i dunno - i R noob but i know what my sennheiser told me when i got the fiio and i want more ,better, faster, sharper :D.

Now i read more about amps and i will probably be going for a lm3775 kit, before i get hold of a SET amp.

I am also thinking of returning to my initial plan of making Half-Chang cabinets for these fe207e.

My question remains : Decware phase plug vs planet10 phase plug ?

Can someone help me with the half-chang enclosure plans ? I found a pdf for them but it doesn't specify the diameter of the holes on the inside nor other specifications.

Thanks..in advance !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.