SPL capability of Fostex FE126EN when used as mid/tweeter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 09:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SPL capability of Fostex FE126EN when used as mid/tweeter?

Hi,

Trying to come up with a cool compact PA/Party speaker that DOESN'T use a compression driver and horn. I have found an interesting design by Tom Danley called the SH-MICRO. On his site this little under-balcony speaker uses two 5 1/2" woofers and a 4 1/2" 'full range speaker' which in certain images looks VERY similar to the FE126EN. The current image on Danley's site is a 3D render but this image looks a bit more 'real'

SH-Micro Synergy Horn Full-range Loudspeaker, 92dB Sensitivity - Danley Sound Labs, Inc. - AV-iQ

The Frequency response plot from danley in their PDF has a very similar top end to the fostex data with the same ~7K PEAK AND SAME HF rolloff.

I'm guessing crossover frequency will probably be up around 500Hz and net system sensitivity is 92db(same as FE126EN).

Danley quotes 113DB continuous and 119DB 'peak'. Is 113DB cont feasible for a fostex with a high passive crossover?

I could certainly make some nice little boxes with a pair of 8's or a 10 with the fostex in it's own little chamber
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I used the older FE126E (treated by Dave @ P.10) with some 6" drivers and a 500Hz LR4 crossover, which conveniently took care of BSC.

Anyway, I'd say 113dB isn't close to feasible. The problem is that the drivers have increasing THD as volume goes up. At first, its not noticable - the Fostex just sounded a bit louder than the 6" as volume increased. Carry on turning it up, and the distortion starts to become obvious.
Using more power (going from 15w/ch to 100w/ch) on the Fostexes didn't change anything, so I can only put it down to the drivers.

If they've managed to get some bass units that follow the distortion trend, then I suppose the sound might stay balanced, but mine quickly became very forward as the >1kHz content started taking over. The solution was to keep the volume low-ish.

I actually tried running the FE126E full-range with some LF EQ to get it down to 60Hz or so in a sealed box. Sounded quite good, and, as the distortion seemed evenly applied across the band, was listenable at higher volumes.
I think I'll probably put them in some small sealed boxes with a switching amp and a little EQ for a desktop system.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!