Philips AD4800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The vintage and construction (frame, straight-walled cone) are reminding me of Wharfedale Super 10s. I owned two pristine pairs (one alnico, one ferrite). They aren't totally unusable, but pretty poor performance by modern standards.

(Assuming similarity to the Wharfedales, and the only Phillips speakers I've owned) The qts is surprisingly high for a big magnet, they probaly best suit a guitar style cabinet - a big box witha seeemi-open back.

The vintage and construction (frame, straight-walled cone) are reminding me of Wharfedale Super 10s. I owned two pristine pairs (one alnico, one ferrite). They aren't totally unusable, but pretty poor performance by modern standards.

(Assuming similarity to the Wharfedales, and the only Phillips speakers I've owned) The qts is surprisingly high for a big magnet, they probaly best suit a guitar style cabinet - a big box witha seeemi-open back.

I don't agree with you. I had one only before buy a pair from ebay and sound fantastic without cab. It has very clear mid very good dynamic and is very sensitive! I have hear more old full range speakers like famous Philips AD9710 and I don't like them. This one has something wonderful!
There is a video on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlqhWns6hMY

and sound fantastic without cab

This somehow disqualifies you... listening to a speaker without a suitable cabinet will result in a thin sound without any bass. Dynamic... yes.

The vintage german fullrange speakers with twin cone usually had a certain emphasis on the higher region... by as much as 10dB.
They were used in tubes radios or consoles, so semi-open cabinets which were necessary due to the high Qts. I have used vitage Saba and Telefunken fullrange speakers many years ago.
Put them at least in a large open baffle and they can sound quite good.

I was delighted when I found the linked article, because I had tried similar drivers (bigger and in better condition than the linked units, but mostly alike) and was never able to fully like them, in various OB and boxed configurations.

Using a 10" fullrange + 12" woofer per channel, the bass-to-mid balance was about right, and they seemed pretty good when played quietly, but very edgy when turned up to moderate or loud levels. It seems that this is a consequence of cone geometry + whizzer:

Wharfedale Super 8

Of course, there is always the possibility that the Phillips units, despite also using a large, straight-sided paper cone, used paper that varied in thickness, in fiber, or had some secret sauce applied that spread the break-up around in a more pleasant way. Maybe they are acoustic gold. I've had / heard modest 4" Phillips drivers (normal construction, no whizzer) that were great, within their limitations.

Without knowing T/S parameters is not possible to give you a close to target final response.
Audiophiles of the day where using aperiodic enclosures, or you can look at Dynaco Variovents, where one (the bottom? side) of the baffles where perforated with a power tool drill. Giving that the substitute version of the Philips AD4800M was the Philips AD8065/M for a sealed enclosure of 25L I would give a shot for the aperiodic 25L with your woofer.
Philips AD4800
Philips AD8065
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/95949-modeling-variovent.html
Have a nice diy and post your results from your experiences.
Best bet would be measuring the T/S parameters.:D

The ad4800 can be used in an open baffle, and you are right it is an extraordinary alnico fullrange loudspeaker. They are quite rare but people who have heard or own them love them and useally never sell them again. Philips had a loudspeaker with them, it was just a closed chipboard cabinet from approx 30L. But If I where I would use them in a baffle to keep the speed. And if you listen to them in open air just to judge them on speed and transient that doesn’t disqualify you at all. You can clearly hear if a loudspeaker has potential or not that way. I own two pair ;-) also the 9710 and many more. The ad4800 is special ;-)

Open baffle means a very steep roll-off for frequencies whose half wavelength is more than the smallest distance between the driver and the baffle edges, doesn't it? So you'd need a rather huge wall for significant bass reproduction. And why does a closed box impact »speed«, i.e. high frequency reproduction?
Best regards!

I have had 6.5" Philips fullrange and they simply sounded right. The 9710 have to face away from the listener, otherwise the 10 db step up from 2 kHz make the sound piercingly bright what ever the bass loadning.
Quarter wave pipes works surprisingly well with high Q drivers if they are light coned or have a high resonance frequency in my experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.