Help with more info on a (possible) FE103A-family driver / Admiral speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Regarding my vintage computer interest, I appreciate when people don't disregard (or discard) their stuff too quickly.

As I'm ignorant on this subject, wanted to ask on an audio forum about the below MIJ Admiral "Bull Horn" speaker, and whether it might be of interest to vintage audio enthusiasts.

It was tentatively identified as a "Foster alnico driver" by the kind folks on a different vintage forum - but my subsequent web searches led to diyAudio as the place for more information.

Can anyone tell me more about this (possible) FE103A-family driver from an Admiral Bull Horn speaker?

It made me more even curious when to my untrained (tin?) ear, it sounded pretty good when test-connected to a low-end receiver. Made me wonder if the seemingly-simple Bull-Horn (Tunnel-Reflex?) cabinet design plays any positive role, as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• admcomp2wb.jpg
    admcomp2wb.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 177
  • admcomp1wb2.jpg
    admcomp1wb2.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 171
Well don't have much room (or resources) to accumulate, Capt., but mostly classic Macs (and recently got something even earlier - an Atari 800).

And would like to - if I ever can find the time - someday learn to do PCB level soldering, since everything from PC motherboards to PSUs to wall-wart AC-DC adapters to "disposable" home theater type equipment I don't want to dispose of, seems to fail because of a few capacitors that are obviously bad.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An Admiral Tunnel Reflex with another name.

That is one of the 2 most common versions of the Foster "FE103A" that come in those Admiral's boxes.

This was a hotly contested niche by the Japanese. I have had over 20 variations from many vendors.

FE103A-i.jpg

Transmission Line Speakers

The boxes aren't worth much… the drivers need to be pulled and the surround/cone interface checked. I have had to reglue something like 70% of the time.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.