Karlson/Klam directivity question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coax was likely more directional than the whizzer cone PS 220, and less affected by the front chamber. K15 are tough to scale down anyway. The K12 is only sort of a scaled K15, and even that is pretty finicky with drivers.

Of the listed options under consideration, I vote for door #1. Obviously there is one happy camper with PS220/K12. I'd be more inclined to put it in a Karlsonator 8, but the difference would likely be a matter of taste. Deeper smoother bass and less boxy sound is my prediction.

If you want to upfire a small full range in a fast, better results are more likely if you simply put it in a small sealed chamber firing up. BTW, this only really works well in heavily damped rooms, IMHO of course...

I've made quite a few attempts at a small 'rocket' type mini klam. If you get it right, it can make a small cheap 2 or 3" full ranger sound like a bigger speaker. (6"?) However, frankly most of my attempts were pretty terrible. I have no idea how to predict what will work. 3D wave modeling perhaps. Anyway, not sure if it'd have any particular advantage if you will use it with a bass driver in a FAST anyway.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My one attempt at a Klam with a Vifa sounded bad. Very echoey. At these small scales with near field reflections of aperture I cannot predict with Akabak. The PS220 in a K'nator would probably indeed be very good.

For the 0.43x it is small but the sims were very encouraging of the LF and the cone control. Cannot predict the HF though.

My dual driver KaZba with the Beta 8cx coax and a CD sounded very nice - great dynamics and decent bass with accidental transient perfect behavior even with an LR2 XO but both drivers in phase.

Karlsonator 8s may be on my 'next" list - my hak8 with 1772 has a pretty good sound and currently tuned to ~60Hz - - K12 (56/58 style) with Fane's high qts double whizzer 12 had a very nice midrange with no noticeable artifacts. Did the 0.43X K15 have a front shelf? rear shelf? - sometimes a rear lowpass shelf/choke seems useful.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
wonder if there's an affordable woofer nearly as good as that B&C coax for a K in the 0.43 or so size ? - if so, then a K-tube could take over the treble - a good 10" could hit in 0.65 or maybe a bit smaller. How thick does plexi need to be to handle K-duty at that size? was the rear lowpass choke gap 'tight'?

here's some K12/Karlsonette with different porting
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Delta Pro12A might make a kicky little K12 or "X12', or XKi12

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sure there are other plain woofers that can work. I think the Beta 8cx would do well - we were just looking for high performance and cost was not a big factor. Something with Qts around 0.27 to 0.35 should work well with a smaller Vas. Basically a big motor and a free air resonance below the tuning frequency. I think we used half inch plexy. Probably could have gone 3/8. But we were pushing these to mid 120dB's.

seems like JEK would like the idea of plexi wings - my Karlson-Oliver Phase 3 klam has a thin sheet of plexi on its top plate

I've got Beta8cx - they overloaded in K10 (not for regular listening) - too large rear volume I think. It would be fun to get peaks near 120 from Beta8cx.

did the 0.43X have a scaled K15 port?

Kappa12a isn't shabby - not sure what the optimum K for it might be but subjectively i prefer that spec woofer in a K12 to a La Scala bottom

hey X - - look at my 1.75" diameter cone tweeter with a K-lens - ignore the hump on the bottom as that's its characteristic and needs LCR impedance nulling.

the angles aren't exact but probably not way off - the cardboard K is about 2.5" wide at the bottom, 2" at top - no damping material - rough hole about 1.5" diameter - no hobby knife to open

how ya like these polars? 120 degree perfect horizontal dispersion for the top octave ain't shabby
and I'd say wider/more even on that octave than a K-tube or mini-klam.

the aperture goes to the mark so higher than this picture
086oLHT.jpg

u90rgfj.gif

yj84vg5.gif

5.3" long 1"ID K-tube driven by APT50

Last edited:
don't know - I'd have to throw together the lcr thing and find something to mate it with - will have to see what was used with that Dynavox tweeter

holding the lens right up to my ear, there's no noticeable coloration - lol

looks like I used 0.56mH/8R/3.3uF across that Dynavox

here it is from a previous test without the K-lens
9YQDigL.gif

Last edited:
How about a wide shallow enclosure for the ps220? Something like 24x24in would put the baffle step f3 around 200hz. Below that might be made up by room gain. I wonder if the rising response is real or baffle induced. Seen conflicting info.

Rising response is no doubt real. Factory measurements are done on an IEC baffle unless otherwise indicated, and don't include baffle loss. Light cone and big motor tends to give that sort of response, which is actually quite useful for horns (and Karlson types), since they tend to eat high frequencies.

Anyhow, wide and shallow will help, but not be enough. A cornu type horn might be interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.