open baffle dipole advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and thanks for reading this post.

I am thinking of purchasing a pair of visaton b200 8" drivers
and was wondering what would be better to produce the best sound quality for a pair of dipole speakers.

1. Visaton b200 in open back baffle
so that in phase and out of phase information is radiated by one solitary driver.

2. Or, two drivers in seperate cabinets (infinite baffle type)
both connected to the amp out of phase with each other.
Not sure which drivers i am going to be using for this, am leaning toward Jensen CH8/20 chicago which seem to have a good reputation.

In both cases the drivers will only be producing midrange-ish information
from 100hz - 6khz

Many thanks in advance. John.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you really want dipole radiation pattern use single open back driver. For bass below 400Hz or so you could have multiple woofers. Having out of phase back to back sealed drivers has a different dynamic as Q of cabinet comes into play as well having to ensure you don't have box coloration. Also there is finite thickness of two boxes and radiation is not dipole from same thin membrane. I have tried both and definitely single driver in OB sounds more open.

A single full range driver on OB with bass support is my favorite. As long as the full range driver is good quality and the baffle is large enough I see no reason why OB with bass support wouldn't work very well.

Attached is my 18" x 18" open baffle using the TB 1808 sitting on top of en H-frame for bass. I'm using a typical subwoofer amp to blend bass with the full range driver for best results in my room. Effective and easy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 432
I am also starting to explore open-baffle woofer/subwoofer ideas.
Not sure if you have seen these, but these pages are helping me learn and decide on an approach.

Subwoofer Origami

Gainphile

Linkwitz labs - U and H frame open baffle woofers

right now I am building up a slot-loaded-W-frame "test" with some cheap GRS 8PF-8 drivers to see how it alters the response of the drivers. This is John Reekie's folded variation on the nelson-pass slot-loaded design. I am also curious of the ripole design, but I think I like the logic of nelson's slot-loading better. If it works then I will probably get some nicer subwoofers later (maybe dayton DCS205 or RSS210HF or peerless 830667)

The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project Article By Nelson Pass
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/195734-nelson-pass-slot-loaded-open-baffle-project.html

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am also starting to explore open-baffle woofer/subwoofer ideas.
Not sure if you have seen these, but these pages are helping me learn and decide on an approach.

Subwoofer Origami

Gainphile

Linkwitz labs - U and H frame open baffle woofers

right now I am building up a slot-loaded-W-frame "test" with some cheap GRS 8PF-8 drivers to see how it alters the response of the drivers. This is John Reekie's folded variation on the nelson-pass slot-loaded design. I am also curious of the ripole design, but I think I like the logic of nelson's slot-loading better. If it works then I will probably get some nicer subwoofers later (maybe dayton DCS205 or RSS210HF or peerless 830667)

The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project Article By Nelson Pass
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/195734-nelson-pass-slot-loaded-open-baffle-project.html

Jeshi,
I also got inspired by Nelson Pass' SLOB and built one with qnty 6 x 6.5in blowout $5 woofers and cardboard. It works very well and is perhaps one of the cleanest sounding bass I have made. Managed to get nice bass extension with the high Qts.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/249984-cheap-fast-ob-literally-7.html#post3805024

397658d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-photo-01.jpg

397659d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-photo-02.jpg

Woofers only:
397653d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-meas-woofer-only.png

With TC9FD on top XO at 350Hz:
397656d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-meas-thd.png

Reactions: 1 user
Jeshi,
I also got inspired by Nelson Pass' SLOB and built one with qnty 6 x 6.5in blowout $5 woofers and cardboard. It works very well and is perhaps one of the cleanest sounding bass I have made. Managed to get nice bass extension with the high Qts.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/249984-cheap-fast-ob-literally-7.html#post3805024

Woofers only:
397653d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-meas-woofer-only.png

With TC9FD on top XO at 350Hz:
397656d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-meas-thd.png

WOW those are awesome xrk!! I was also thinking that multiple 6.5" woofers might work really well in this design. I will start initially with just a single pair of 8" in a small ~30cm cube to see how it works. Really glad to hear that it gives a clean extended bass. I was really hoping this design would give that quality of bass. Nice extension too for 6.5" drivers and decent distortion. Would you consider rebuilding this with XPS foam like you used in your 10f/rs225 speaker? I am guessing that the XPS foam and tighter mounting might lower the distortion.

I am building mine with EVA foam (of course) and I am molding the slot channel with a round internal channel like in nelson pass's design and rear mounting. This will allow me to compress/sandwich the drivers with long threaded rods against the channel for a very firm, air tight mounting. You can see in the diagram that he rounds the back of the slot to perfectly fit the driver.

SLOB-DIAGRAM.gif

I hope to have some prototype together soon. Been waiting on a new batch of EVA foam since I used up all from my last order :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Xrk, I have a hard time taking foam board and cardboard speaker enclosures seriously! I must give you credit on designs and execution, nice work!
Have you thought of transitioning to more traditional speaker enclosure materials?

Larry

Would love to but not until I have a wood working shop. I do make the occasional open baffle in plywood with a jigsaw. The foam lets me prototype and test put the ideas that previously existed only in Akabak or my head very quickly. I usually can build a speaker in a night - even a 3 way synergy. If it is good enough for wood then I have to get someone else to make it for me.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
WOW those are awesome xrk!! I was also thinking that multiple 6.5" woofers might work really well in this design. I will start initially with just a single pair of 8" in a small ~30cm cube to see how it works. Really glad to hear that it gives a clean extended bass. I was really hoping this design would give that quality of bass. Nice extension too for 6.5" drivers and decent distortion. Would you consider rebuilding this with XPS foam like you used in your 10f/rs225 speaker? I am guessing that the XPS foam and tighter mounting might lower the distortion.

I am building mine with EVA foam (of course) and I am molding the slot channel with a round internal channel like in nelson pass's design and rear mounting. This will allow me to compress/sandwich the drivers with long threaded rods against the channel for a very firm, air tight mounting. You can see in the diagram that he rounds the back of the slot to perfectly fit the driver.

SLOB-DIAGRAM.gif

I hope to have some prototype together soon. Been waiting on a new batch of EVA foam since I used up all from my last order :)

Thanks Jeshi. This is one of those speakers where I was so pleased with the sound that I said to myself that this is one speaker that I will rebuild out of wood one of these days. It is up there in my top 5 builds.

Hi. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Any recommendations for a good 8 inch drive unit?

The baffle board i am using already has an 8 inch cut out so am limited to that.

Need low power handling up to 50 watts and prefer high sensitivity.

Frequency response needed is 125 hz - 6khz, Budget available = £100 per driver

Am considering tang band w8 -1808 , tang band w8-1772, eminence patriot 820h,

jensen p8r alnico.

What do you think of alnico magnet drivers, i read the magnet strength dies down quickly Manufacturers seem to charge a lot more for alnico is there any particular benefit to them

The Dayton RS225 is very well regarded and has been used in many successful designs. Not sure if anyone has used it in an open baffle though.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs225-8-8-reference-woofer--295-356

I should probably let someone with more direct experience comment on the alnico magnets, but I suspect it is a bit of myths from the old days. I think modern neodymium magnets work really well as well as common iron types. Strong magnetic strength (BL measurement) combined with copper caps and a low Qes make for a strong low distortion motors (in general).

These two drivers have my attention right now for an 8" sub (but I have not bought yet)

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dcs205-4-8-classic-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-200
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210hf-4-8-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-456

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.