Show me your single driver solution in a bass reflex box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love full range drivers and one of my favorites is the venerable Fostex 168z (old style with whizzer). Having tried it in back horns, BIBs, open baffle, sealed and bass reflex (ported) I prefer it in a big bass reflex box (approx 42L tuned to 60Hz). Bass bounces along and balances out the entire presentation.

Additionally, I use this as a mono setup. Think of it as one of those one box solutions offered these days from B&W, Naim, etc. I just set my iPad to mono. The Topping TP21 is a perfect bedroom solution (my room is 11 x 17 feet but in my larger living room it seems underpowered).

Bass reflex can be a tidy solution. Please show me yours.

Attachments

• Fostex-168z-Topping.jpg
    Fostex-168z-Topping.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 317
Didn't mean to sound that harsh about the CHR70. Even in BR, they were enjoyable, especially for girls/guitars type of stuff. However, in mini Karlsonators, they actually rock. :D

The old radio shack 40-1354 (with full tweaks) in a 14l reflex was one of my favorites.

I also liked the FX200 in a factory reflex more than in a big ML-TQWT. The latter was impressive and very hifi, but the reflex somehow smoothed out the driver's faults.

>>> The old radio shack 40-1354 (with full tweaks) in a 14l reflex was one of my favorites.

I have two RS 1354 (brand new in boxes) waiting for cabinets. What were the tweaks... rope calk on the basket? I'd hate to coat the cone with anything. They'd make a great 'tabletop' or small apartment setup! I remember they had a very balanced and relaxed sound.

I can almost guarantee you won't ruin them by coating with dammar varnish, though they may be a little dull for a few days while it dries. Don't slobber on a thick coat of Varathane and hope for the best though....

It's been a very long time, but IIRC the main cones were dammared, probably two light (thinned) coats. The whizzers and dustcaps got a coat of fresh mixed shellac. I may have put some dammar on top of that. The baskets were reinforced with epoxy "metal" putty. A donut of polyfill was tucked behind the whizzer. (99¢ trick variation).

FX200 - faults? - how would you describe those?

I should have said fault (singular). The main issue with the FX200 was the break up peak at about 4kHz. It could make them a bit fatiguing to listen to. IIRC it was a main cone resonance - nothing to do with the dustcap. With some tweaking, it may have been fixable.

For whatever reason, when loaded in a reflex instead of a pipe, the slight peakiness went away, and they were if anything a little warm and fuzzy sounding, though at the cost of some realism. They could no longer fool my cat with field recordings.

BTW FX200 sound nothing at all like an LE-8, and I've had both. The fostex were way better really. (ducking and running... )

Don't apologize for telling it as you see it - I've never heard the LE-8, and only had a brief listen to a pair of totally naked FX200 at Bud Purvine's place a few years back. They obviously had no bass, but were being used with powered woofers, and may or may not have had his treatment, but sounded fine to me - or maybe it was just his company.

What were the tweaks... rope calk on the basket? I'd hate to coat the cone with anything. They'd make a great 'tabletop' or small apartment setup! I remember they had a very balanced and relaxed sound.

The Hawaii was popular at one time and a variation with much improved overall performance:

http://myhifisite.50megs.com/hawaii.html
http://myhifisite.50megs.com/hawaiinew.html

MLTLs still used daily in Buzz's apt. that were eventually cosmetically finished with clear sealer, framed grills, tripod stands with spikes, mass loaded with 25lbs/ea. of coins in tins and silver solder connected with twisted armature winding wire from the driver to amp [no terminals in the signal chain]: http://myhifisite.50megs.com/gm/tower.html

GM

A fullrange set-up?

Hi there all:)

Here is a better pic of my latest set-up of my Alp12P in BR(partly modified from Mark/Dave`s draw). It is used with two Dac`s = homemade partly. And with Luminaria PreAmp(Sit transistor) and the monoblocks SIT-amp (resistor version).

A very dynamic and involving set-up, with a clear signature!:cool:

Best to all!

Olav

Attachments

• Alp12p set up.jpg
    Alp12p set up.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 141
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.