Boenicke W5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure many here have seen these speakers. Very cool design and a very expensive price tag to boot :eek: If a person were to use a smaller Mark Audio driver, say the CHR 70. What would be a good woofer to match up with the CHR 70? Crossing at a low freq below 500 hz? A link to Yu-Tube vidie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbYVSTTO68

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

kastanza,

The Boenicke W5 does look cool - however the concept is not new to diyAudio - please refer to post 32 from P10 on the following page:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/144099-thread-tysen-variations-fast-4.html

Posted 2009. :)

With a CHR-70.3 you should be able to XO much lower than 500 Hz. If you plan to use a sub-woofer driver as a bass helper, the sub will become the limiting factor in crossing that high; a good woofer will allow that.

For a smallish subwoofer you can look up the Tang Band W6-1169:

Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker

A woofer that should work in a small cabinet (no experience with these):

Denovo Audio Anarchy woofer DIY Sound Group

Some food for though, and I'm sure others will chime in.

Also for mid-tweet, you can look up the MA Alpair 6.2M and Alpair 6P.

Last edited:
The Alpair 6P are the best MAs in my experience; clear, smooth and refined from a time before Mark really went on his bizarre micro-resonance crusade. Measures well, sounds fantastic and hugely flexible. Not much more than a CHR, but a class above

Also consider the Scanspeak 10F/8414. I'm enamoured by how well it measures, especially in terms of polar response and CSD.

A good woofer would be the U16 or L16 from SEAS. Amazing bass with staggeringly low bass distortion for the size. Both would easily handle a 500Hz crossover.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If the woofer is co-located as close to the full range as possible, I would XO over at about 400Hz to 500Hz as it keeps magic of the fullrange and really reduces IMD from excessive cone motion due to mid bass that might cause fullrange to move a lot. If crossing at 400Hz and above the advantage of low bass extension of the CHR70 is not needed and smoother response drivers such as 10F/8424, or even other as described in Blind Subjective tests threads. Several options are available that are excellent: TC9FD, TG9FD10-8, 3FE22, P830986, RS100P-4, and B80. For the woofer, many choices are available - look for low distortion motor with copper rings, good xmax, higher sensitivity. If price is not an issue consider the SB Satori. The Dayton RS225-8 is an excellent choice as well but needs a steeper low pass. Finally, the XO if done is DSP gives you lots of options. My favorite so far is the so called Harsch transient perfect which uses a Butterworth 4th low pass and Bessel 2nd high pass on fullrange.

More info on this using 10F and RS226 here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/273524-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.