Fostex FF125 specifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*Moderator note: In the event of redundancies or confusion, another thread was merged into this one.

I bought for a very good price 4 NOS fostex ff125. They are old but absolutely new. I have not managed to find the thiele and small parameters of these speakers. Someone may be have them? I can be considered that they are equivalent to 125k? But they resemble the FX120 apart magnet. Thank for your help !

Guillaume

Last edited:
Fostex does publish a "compatibility list" - most recently updated in 2003 from what I can see- about all they'll say about the FF125, is that the then new FF125K would have "similar sound"
If you have the ability to take your own T/S P measurements, any dubious assumptions could be put to rest

Hello !
Thank you for this information.

I made a picture grouping response graphs of the major Fostex 12cm. The FF125 has a response more resembling that of FX120 than that of FF125K. The most interesting parameters that are listed on the document are:
Qo (qt?): 0.24
Fs: 60Hz
OSPL: 92 dB 1W / 1m
Standard enclosure volume: 8L
The VAS is not indicated.

I did a quick listening test in a 10l bass reflex enclosure and effectively, listening is fairly sweet and more pleasant than the FF125wk but with less defined treble.
remark : FF125k and Fe127e are close about their graph. FF125wk and FE126 too.

Last edited:
As has already been pointed out, the best thing is to measure them yourself.

From the pictures in the duplicate thread, it appears that the FF125 chassis and magnet is identical to the FF125K. That being so, the are not equivalent. The difference in freq response most likely indicates that the FF125K model uses a lighter cone and/or voice coil assembly than the older FF125. I'd venture a guess that the FF125 cone is the same as the FX120, but without the textured coating.

It might be more accurate to say the FF125 is a budget version of the FX120, based on available information.

These would probably work fine in an ML-TL, backhorn, or BR, depending on your needs and preferences.

The FF125K was more of a pure horn driver. The FF125WK has completely different specs and at first glance appears to be a slight downgrade.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FF125WK has completely different specs and at first glance appears to be a slight downgrade.

But in actualapplication i'd rank better… i haven't tried the FF225wk sitting on the shelf yet, but i'd choose the other FFxx5wk over the 125… the FF85wk is a stand-out, at least when fully done up. Once its issues are dealt with the FF125wk is decent.

FF85wKeN-copper-w-orange.jpg

dave

The FF125WK has completely different specs and at first glance appears to be a slight downgrade.

If I compare the features and listening between ff125 and ff125wk:

FF125wk :

- 89 db 1w/1m vs 92 db(-3db, is not negligible especially with these low power system)
- The sound is more colorful especially in the upper midrange / treble (I find very annoying this peak at 7 kHz !)
- It goes less down in frequency
- The construction and finish seem me less serious

- Treble are better defined.

Power handling and Xmax seems to me similar.

I get more negative than positive. So yes, current production WK regress for these 12cm i've compared.
The end date of manufacture is 1988. ff125 precedes the FX120. We could say that the FX120 is a high-end ff125 derivative ?

I shall measure dice that possible, my workshop is not still ready, I have just moved !

Guillaume

Last edited:
Hello.
To continue the above post:
The comparative listening between ff125wk and ff125 in voigtpipe is clear:
This is almost day and night so the ff125 is better defined and articulated! My wife also heard and has asked me if I could return 125wk to the store ... Our time is not really the golden age of fullrange. I'm really lucky to have found this little treasure !

Last edited:
Greg - true enough, but keep in mind that unlike rust, Alnico does "sleep" - many of the "FE103-A" drivers will be over 40yrs old, and in addition to weakened motors, may also be suffering from SSS - stiff surround syndrome

the new FE103SOL is very good, and AFAIC worth every penny of the premium over the current stock version

The way I remember it, it's similar in that around a 0.383 Qts? it's identical and as it moves lower, higher it gets progressively further away, so at 0.24 it would be a somewhat lower Qts if it's accurate and would at least partially explain its sonic superiority over the later 'k' model.

GM

One thing is also to consider is that a higher qt gives voigtpipes sound resonating in the lower midrange.With 125wk, there were too many low mids, the speaker was not suitable.
I also noticed that the membrane of ff125 is more loose and flexible and appears thinner.This may also explain the best perception of sound details and better transient. The medium quality is in the same line as the FE103s / 108ez i have.

Last edited:
Greg - true enough, but keep in mind that unlike rust, Alnico does "sleep" - many of the "FE103-A" drivers will be over 40yrs old, and in addition to weakened motors, may also be suffering from SSS - stiff surround syndrome

the new FE103SOL is very good, and AFAIC worth every penny of the premium over the current stock version

Very true, I should have qualified it if the vintage 103 hasn't been stored for long periods.

Wasn't aware of the 'SOL', though in a quick search it does look like it has promise for a low output impedance system, so wouldn't be a fair comparison to an original in good working condition unless XO'd fairly high, then it wouldn't surprise me if it performed better overall and at that price it should to be a bargain.

GM

One thing is also to consider is that a higher qt gives voigtpipes sound resonating in the lower midrange.With 125wk, there were too many low mids, the speaker was not suitable.
I also noticed that the membrane of ff125 is more loose and flexible and appears thinner.This may also explain the best perception of sound details and better transient. The medium quality is in the same line as the FE103s / 108ez i have.

Yes, these were the sort of things I was alluding to.

GM

HI !

I shall need your advices:
I would want to use 2 speaker in the same enclosure. With two ff125, I would have a efficiency of 95db what is very interesting for my setup (low power se amp).
Do you think that the following thing is feasible in a BIB?
For example: both speaker the one above the other one by having Zdriver in the middle of both? I don't want the one in quoted by the other one because the enclosure would be too wide and not esthetics.
I imagine that to calculate the BIB, it will be necessary to take VAS * 2?

Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.