Books for Students - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 31st July 2015, 10:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Books for Students

I'm a longtime audio gear-head, but I am also a librarian at a design school, and for the first time, have a work related question.

There has been a speaker design project at the school for the last couple of years and I would like to buy some books for the students on how to design them. They design the speakers currently for looks of a desktop system and I am not sure if they even sound good, but I would like them to design it so it will.

Also, I would like to find some good books on simple diy audio project related to amps and preamps as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?
These students don't have time to dive into electrical engineering so it would have to explained in a simple way.

Old 31st July 2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Greg B is online now Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member
The various David Weems books are IMHO the best written basic texts. Dickason assumes prior knowledge, and Alden is not as well written. It could be argued that all these books are obsolescent.
Old 31st July 2015, 11:36 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, unfortunately, the internet has writ 'books for dummies' and 'up to the minute' broad spectrum textbooks obsolete, so for beginners, Weems is pretty much it.

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Old 1st August 2015, 02:55 AM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member
Books by David Weems and Ray Alden are often hailed by beginners. If you buy these, I wouldn't pay more than about $10. Weems gives some cookbook formulas, but the designs he produces in his book almost never follow them, which is confusing and never explained. I've only leafed through an Alden book (can be obtained at Radio Shack).

If the students have had high school math (I can't imagine what other prior knowledge is needed) I would recommend the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 7th Edition Book . This at least gives all the standard cookbook tools for design. Although I might pick a few nits with some of its methodology, I haven't read it since the 5th edition...

A book I've never read is John Murphy's Intro to Loudspeaker Design: I like the table of contents, but can't see enough of the book on preview to be able to recommend it.

Most of these books can be checked out from the library, which is what I would truly recommend
Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan
Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity. Aldous Huxley

Last edited by Ron E; 1st August 2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 1st August 2015, 04:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will order both the Weems book and the Loudspeaker Design book.
I want to get something that explains the principles of how everything works and how the individual components affect the others and how you make it and what you use with them. I would like them to have a better understanding beyond how they look.

Thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!