Non-Round Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a former car audio guy whose best sounding cheap systems relied on the Jensen 6x9 whizzer cone drivers from RShack. The lack of one dominant cone breakup mode has to be the advantage since they are otherwise generic. Nobody likes looking at them though. The 4x10 was not great but they were GM specific and Delco didn't measure up to Philco back in the day. JMO.
I think Boston Acoustics had a high-end speaker line with 5 x 7 mid bass drivers. Lynnwood?
The 4x10 usually has the Fs of a 4 inch, which limits its use as a full range.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
A timely topic for me. My local electronics parts guy has some Audiovox 4x10s (4ohm, 8 watt) for sale as "surplus". I can't remember the price per pair, but they were dirt cheap ($8 or something).

Maybe I'll pick up a pair and run some sweeps through them.

(I didn't know till now that Audiovox's domestic brands include; Jensen, AR, Advent, Klipsch, etc.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxx_International

Last edited:
Alright!

My love and hate relationship with the internet comes through again! :)

Reading around, it looks like an oval driver will beam like an array. More focused dispersion on its longer axis, and wider dispersion on its shorter axis.

As one put it, a 6x9 driver will beam like a 6 on its short axis, and like a 9 on its longer.

Now, information overload started with my thoughts on using ovals in an array...

Best for an array would mount the longer axis vertically, as to reduce the interactions between drivers. But that means increasing the center-to-center spacing between drivers, which induces more cancelling frequencies.

BUT,.... would the narrower dispersion on the long axis reduce the interactions between drivers, and wouldn't make them worse than round drivers in this case, even if the round drivers are mounted closer to each other, but have a wider dispersion pattern?

This is all technobabble in my head now, and can't find the right info on the net at the moment ...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maybe it's because they don't fit the T/S calculators.. ;)

I always liked the sound of a paper 6x9 myself but the poly cone units lost some magic. They just don't sound the same..

Why don't 6x9 or ovals for TS calculators? You can still run impedance sweep to get TS parameters. Just need to measure or calculate Sd as it's more complicated than area of a circle.

My first real car stereo as a kid had a Sony paper cone 6x9 3 way coax. The ones with a 3in paper cone mid and a shiny silver colored Mylar dome tweeter. I used to think it sounded good but what did I know back then. How come no one ever posts measurements of a car audio 3 way coax?

Quote..
"...it's more complicated than area of a circle."
Bingo!

"How come no one ever posts measurements of a car audio 3 way coax?"
Oh, my.. Isn't that voodoo around here..? ;)

I've always had good luck with car drivers, especially the 6x9's. Don't care much for the triaxials but the 2-ways are fine. I just wish there was a way to tweek the tweeters easily,,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.