Floor spikes - worth it for Pensil 10p - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2015, 08:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Floor spikes - worth it for Pensil 10p

My 10p Pensils are built and sitting in my music room. They're not finished fully as I have to shellac the cabinets.

Whilst deciding on whether to darken the Appleply maple plywood, or keep it light, I wonder whether I should be ordering to carpet spikes.

They will sit on carpet over concrete.

Any thoughts?

Charlie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437078229.054531.jpg
Old 16th July 2015, 08:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Depends on how thick and cushy you carpet is. If the carpet is firm, no. Spikes make adjusting the speaker toe-in, etc rather difficult. But it the carpet is going to make the speaker tippy, spikes to the concrete are a must.

Bob
Old 16th July 2015, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't say that the speakers are "tippy" so I suppose it depends upon whether there'll be an audible difference in coupling with the concrete floor.

Charlie
Old 16th July 2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you do find them 'tipsy' you can widen the footprint of the spikes or feet a bit with 'outriggers'.

hehe, a nautical term but you get the gist.
Old 16th July 2015, 10:57 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

After damaging both carpet and hardwood floors with spiked speakers / stands, I personally avoid them like the plague.

As for finishing the Apple ply - I've have mixed results with staining the maple face veneers, and would generally suggest a clear top coat if not veneering - my personal favorite finish is sprayed catalyzed nitrocellulose lacquer or conversion varnish.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maple can get slightly blotchy with staining. So far, I love the light colour of the cabinets and they lighten the room.

I tested some spare Appleply with clear and Amber shellac and I like the finish of the clear shellac. I'll test a bit more that has been pretreated with pure Tung Oil as it should give a little more grain contrast. Then I'll clear shellac and polish with 000 steel wool and mineral oil.

Charlie
Old 17th July 2015, 12:08 AM   #7
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, staining maple is generally speaking a no no. Tinted lacquer coats are the conventional way to darken maple. Garnet, orange or amber shellac is the old fashioned equivalent. If using shellac, you can also oil with linseed oil first. Darkens wood slightly and pops any figure. Seems like shellac wouldn't stick but it does. However, it is a very old fashioned look. Your tung oil should have about the same effect but with less yellowing/darkening.

If required, I like to make my own spikes by chucking 1/2" aluminum rod into a drill press and grinding and sanding the ends into a parabolic shape. This is enough for them to seat well into carpet, without damaging anything.

Sharp point spikes seem to be based on some sort of fundamental misunderstanding of acoustics.
Old 17th July 2015, 02:14 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post

Sharp point spikes seem to be based on some sort of fundamental misunderstanding of acoustics.
in this hobby? - never

Hide this!Advertise here!