Kappa 15c or ???? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2015, 08:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kappa 15c or ????

Hello everyone, i currently have two yamaha A15 but i want to upgrade the drivers since they aren't that good, i wanted to get 4 ohms speakers not 8, since i could get more power out of any amp that its rated at 4 ohms. the Kappa 15C is the one i kind of like, but what do you guys think about this Eminence ? or about this speaker? i want them inside the Yamaha 2 way enclosures, used for full range. Is there any other 15" out there that you guys would recommend me?
Old 13th July 2015, 02:07 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

good specs on the 15C hopefully the lowpass section of the crossover would take care of the peak before rolloff - here's a woofer which might also work - its moving mass is about double of the Eminence, low qts, decent reviews Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" Pro Woofer

if the moderator moves your query into multi-ways then you will probably will get more answers
Old 13th July 2015, 04:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
good specs on the 15C hopefully the lowpass section of the crossover would take care of the peak before rolloff - here's a woofer which might also work - its moving mass is about double of the Eminence, low qts, decent reviews Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" Pro Woofer

if the moderator moves your query into multi-ways then you will probably will get more answers
thanks for your answer, but if i choose a 8 ohms speakers, i would like the Kappa 15A more. this one looks good tho
Old 14th July 2015, 08:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturro88 View Post
Hello everyone, i currently have two yamaha A15 but i want to upgrade the drivers since they aren't that good, i wanted to get 4 ohms speakers not 8, since i could get more power out of any amp that its rated at 4 ohms.
No you can not. Changing impedance requires changing crossover, unless...
(There are speakers/XO that you can do components change/diy to obtain similar response, if you are into it. post your speakers crossover layouts)
But that would be getting into too much trouble...
Old 14th July 2015, 08:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

By "fullrange" do you mean that you will not use the 2-way XO anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturro88 View Post
Hello everyone, i currently have two yamaha A15 but i want to upgrade the drivers since they aren't that good, i wanted to get 4 ohms speakers not 8, since i could get more power out of any amp that its rated at 4 ohms. the Kappa 15C is the one i kind of like, but what do you guys think about this Eminence ? or about this speaker? i want them inside the Yamaha 2 way enclosures, used for full range. Is there any other 15" out there that you guys would recommend me?
Old 14th July 2015, 08:51 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Generally swapping drivers in half decent PA speakers is a bad idea.
Without redesign even a fantastic driver is likely to be little better.

rgds, sreten.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
(There are speakers/XO that you can do components change/diy to obtain similar response, if you are into it. post your speakers crossover layouts)
yes, that is true, i just got me two Peavey 1505 BW @ 8ohms because of what you said, too much trouble with the crossover, i would have to get new ones or modify mines. so to avoid all that i just got 8 ohms drivers, they are rated at 350 rms and its a way better speaker than the ones that comes with this yamaha A15 boxes. Thank you for you replay, when i read your comment that just was the trigger for avoiding a 4 ohms unless i would have used them with no crossover for the lows, just the highs. But its better to use crossover to cuts higher frequencies on the woofer.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By "fullrange" do you mean that you will not use the 2-way XO anymore?
well, yes and no, i was planing in use the crossover on the highs only, but since i got the 8 ohms speakers well, now i will continue using then
Old 14th July 2015, 11:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Generally swapping drivers in half decent PA speakers is a bad idea.
Without redesign even a fantastic driver is likely to be little better.

rgds, sreten.
you are correct 100%. But the drivers i got comes with pretty much the same enclosure size that i already have, but have better frequency response, way higher xmax and BL, my current drivers yes, they are decent, but honestly, the Radio shack 15 i have give me more bass inside the yamaha enclosures than the yamaha drivers, RS are way less quality, but i believe the 32Hz response they have make the difference here. This yamaha are great for vocals, awesome, but since i don't have subs and not planing in getting one for now (broken student) hahaha. Hopefully these Peavey 1505-8 BW will give me a bit more punch. i will just sell the yamahas
Old 15th July 2015, 12:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (711.3 KB, 40 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!