my first DIY... folded open bafflers coral beta 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Edit, 2nd DIY beta8's and eminence beta15 on page 2) not sure but I think I seen these folded OB's on this site and figured I could copy them, though I don't even have a wood saw I had the home hardware cut the panels for me, bought a rotozip to cut the circles and predrilled pilots for the piano hinges... all in all they turned decently for my skillset I think! :cool:

not big bass (that's an understatement lol) but lovin the magical holographic clean sounds from these beautys! :p

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
it helps to correlate subjective listening impressions with objective data
I used to live with lowthers on open baffle very long time ago, and liked the fast clean sound, but I had woofers to cover the low frequencies up to ~160 Hz
relieving the fullrange driver from bass duties greatly benefits in lower distortion as cone moves less
so I did not mean to criticize, I just simply see next logical step is adding the woofers, weather open baffle or not is totally up to you
this is only a suggestion offcourse :)

Are your wings sealed at the joint?
I'll have to redo the measurements but from memory if the joint isn't sealed you might lose some bass extension.

I also suggest a high efficiency driver for bass something like a 15".
I like Nelson Pass idea of a single 15" slot loaded facing down. Doesn't take up much space on the baffle.

After you've done that, just for fun turn the baffle upside down. You'll get quite a bit more bass extension that way.
If you like the sound after you've done that make a new baffle about 1 foot taller keeping driver at the same height from the ground as it is right now. The driver is too close to the top edge of the baffle for best bass.

The most preferable setup would be an additional second driver close to the floor, maybe run to 120Hz with a simple 1st order crossover. Many different ways to skin the cat, let your ears be judge

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.