Please recommend an alternative to the Markaudio CHN70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own an old Toyota 4WD pickup truck which I purchased used. It is the kind of vehicle that we call a "beater" in my neck of the woods. The sound system (both speakers and head unit) were trashed, so in an attempt to provide myself with acceptable audio I installed a new head unit and a pair of bass reflex speakers with Markaudio CHN70 drivers. The bass reflex enclosures are simple 8.5 liter boxes that I placed on the floor of the truck's interior on the passenger side, with the drivers mounted in an up-firing position. Even listening off-axis in this manner, the hot upper midrange of the CHN70 is too much for my taste. After much trial and error with the EQ on the head unit, I still can not make the CHN70s produce a sound that is tolerable to my ears, so I have decided to install different drivers in my boxes, and I hope to receive some suggestions on this thread.

These are my requirements for a replacement driver:

Full range (or, extended range);
No large peaks in the upper midrange;
Similar size to the CHN70, suitable for bass reflex mounting in my 8.5 liter boxes with a minimum mounting hole size of 93mm;
Decent off-axis response;
F3 in the above box not much higher than 80Hz;
Priced about $50.00 USD each or less.

In general, I prefer a smooth sound with warmth and clarity, with no parrot-like screeching. A bass hump from being mounted in a box that is smaller than ideal is acceptable. The box size is the largest that will fit on the floor of my pickup when used in a pair.

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry to hear that you could not get the sound you needed to live with. That was my impression of this driver after listening to it for 5 minutes. I am still stuck with mine unfortunately. If you look at the locked thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270094-objective-comparison-3in-4in-class-full-range-drivers.html, there you will see the CHN70 compared with some very suitable alternatives. Futhermore, if you wanted, you can also look in the two Subjective Blind Comparo threads:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...nd-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-3in-5in-drivers-round-2-a.html

You will be presented with more choices and lots measurements and sound clips so you can judge for yourself. The short story is that most people who participated in the tests ended preferring these drivers as the top 2 from each round:

Vifa TC9FD, Faital Pro 3FE22, ScanSpeak 10F/8424, and Peerless P830986.

If you open it up to top 3 then you can add these tied for 3 drivers:

Alpair A7.3, PRV 5MR450NDY, Vifa TG9FD, and Dayton PS95-8.

If your requirement is smooth mid range and under $50ea that takes out the following: A7.3 ($85), 5MR450NDY ($100), 10F/8424 ($100)

Of the remaining ones, the TC9FD ($12), TG9FD ($22), PS95-8 ($23), 3FE22 ($32), P830986 ($32). I think all of these can be made to have an f3 of 80Hz in a 8.5L box. If the need is for high sensitivity is high then the 3FE22 (or its siblings which all measure similarly 3FE25, or 4FE32, or 4FE35) can all work well at 91dB. If smoothest mid range is your goal, either the TC9FD or TG9FD are the best choices. If the best 20kHz HF top end and OK mid range is your need then P830986 is a possible choice.

Given that the car is an oldie but goody "beater", I would go for the TC9FD at $12ea or the TG9FD at $22ea. The Faitals may be the more durable units car use as they are pro audio drivers. If water and getting wet may be involved then a fiberglass or aluminum cone such as the TG9FD or P830986 are good.

It should be noted that although the Dayton RS100-4 or RS100P-4 did not do well in the subjective tests, they actually have a smooth mid range and have the longest xmax of any of the drivers besides the CHN70 and A7.3 (4mm) and also have a very smooth mid range. You may want to consider them too. Nicely built and should get decent bass down to 80Hz easily.

Hope that helps. If I had to pick one, try the $12 TC9FD, it's so cheap there is no harm in trying. Second choice would be 3FE25 at $19.

Last edited:
xrk971,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the specifics of your suggestions. I had known of the threads you mentioned, but for some reason I forgot all about them when posting this one. I will definitely give them a good read.

As to my listed price for the drivers, it is more a goal than a limit. I don't mind paying more if I get the sound I want, but the price of trial and error in money, time, and frustration is not something to which I look forward, thus my posting here.

If anyone else has recommendations or suggestions based upon first-hand experience, please reply.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the specifics of your suggestions. I had known of the threads you mentioned, but for some reason I forgot all about them when posting this one. I will definitely give them a good read.

As to my listed price for the drivers, it is more a goal than a limit. I don't mind paying more if I get the sound I want, but the price of trial and error in money, time, and frustration is not something to which I look forward, thus my posting here.

If anyone else has recommendations or suggestions based upon first-hand experience, please reply.

You are welcome. The above threads contain a side-by-side apples-to-apples comparison and first hand listening experience by me to all who listen to the sound clips for 15 drivers (18 if you count the 3 out-of-production units provided by Godzilla). I think you might be hard pressed to find another resource with that many drivers tested and listened to in the same rig.

Last edited:
Success! It came in an unexpected way, and I am both relieved and content.

I was not looking forward to poring over speaker driver data sheets in an effort to find a speaker that would work in my 8.5 liter cabinets in a bass reflex configuration, then purchasing my selection and hoping it would be satisfactory, and then possibly beginning the process all over again if it did not work as I had hoped. But, I then remembered a pair of Markaudio Alpair 10 Gen. 2 speakers in my possession that were not currently in use. For some reason, I had forgotten all about them when I began my truck speaker project, but I remembered that I had tried them in both bass reflex and sealed cabinets, and they had worked well either way.

So, I sealed the BR port on my cabinets, I enlarged the mounting hole, I sprayed the interior with automobile rubber sound-deadening spray, I installed some Dacron stuffing, I mounted the A10.2 speakers, and they sound great, without using any EQ. I believe the F3 is about 70Hz, and it certainly sounds as though it could be, because the bass is just right, without any cavity resonances or booming one-note response. I listen to the speakers off axis, because they are mounted in an up-firing position, and even in this position they produce plenty of high frequency response. The midrange is very good, without any upper-mid screeching. Both FM radio and CD sound very nice, and any genre of music from pop to rock to folk to jazz to classical sounds good.

I like Markaudio products in general. The Alpair 10s (both metal and paper) are the best full-range drivers I have heard. The CHN70 simply was not a good fit for my listening preferences. Thanks to all who replied.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A10.2 in 8.5 litre gets you real close to a butterwork config with F6 about 55 and F10 in the low 40s. In a car with cabin gain it should go much lower.

The A10.2 is leagues better than the CHN70.

dave

Attachments

• alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    19 KB · Views: 253
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.