A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks

Then I would probably use a flat target in DRC and use a PEQ to do the dip as it will be easier to fit it to your taste, but that assumes that it's easy enough to do with PEQ with the player/server software you are using.

I suspect that it is unsigned pcm which would need to be converted like in the batch file, easy enough to add it to the batch file to be processed at the same time.

I have highlighted the line in the file, take out the # and change the name if you want to.

you are right. I could cascade a peq over the drc file in brutefir, but the config becomes a little tedious and Id rather not do that if DRC can handle everything.

I could also preconvolve the peq with the DRC file so as not to cascade but that's even more challenging. :)

I'll add a batch file to convert the mppfoutfile to wav so I can view it in REW. Im actually excited to see what it looks like . THANKS

Im pretty much aiming for a flat response with a small notch centered around 3khz. for some reason my ears are extremely sensitive to this area so about a 4 to 5 db notch between 2500-3500 is what Im going for as a starting point.

Have you ever seen what happens in a stereo triangle with cross talk? Many people like a (often misrepresented as a BBC) dip there.

Check out the Fixing the Stereo Phantom Center thread for a lot more info on that.

It all depends of course, but material mixed for stereo and played back on a system with a real center is going to be different from 2 speaker stereo with phantom center. Much of the success of that would depend on the up-mix algorithm.

Does material mixed for surround sound subjectively better or more real using the real center? Do you use the center for Stereo?

I don't use a (real) center, but my EQ is different for HT vs Stereo music for a good reason. The differences aren't huge, but a surround mix tends to sound tonally different than regular stereo. Especially in a room with reduced early reflections.

The Toole measurements posted in the thread I linked before give clear indications as to why, even if it is just part of the answer.

Last edited:
got ya.

question for all. how can I make DRC adhere more tightly to the target???

attachment.php

Attachments

• target vs actual corrected.jpg
    target vs actual corrected.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 277
It all depends of course, but material mixed for stereo and played back on a system with a real center is going to be different from 2 speaker stereo with phantom center. Much of the success of that would depend on the up-mix algorithm.

Does material mixed for surround sound subjectively better or more real using the real center? Do you use the center for Stereo?

I don't use a (real) center, but my EQ is different for HT vs Stereo music for a good reason. The differences aren't huge, but a surround mix tends to sound tonally different than regular stereo. Especially in a room with reduced early reflections.

The Toole measurements posted in the thread I linked before give clear indications as to why, even if it is just part of the answer.

you are correct. adding the center to a stereo sound changes it.

I never do that actually. Im mostly home theater so I deploy each sound to its correct speaker.

Its interesting that you do not use a center speaker - I used to like the phantom center, but after dialing in my actual center I cant stand the phantom center any longer

Not having heard an all out surround setup properly setup in a home I cannot judge that. However I did make sure to get the most pleasing performance even for HT.

The material I listen to is 80-90% Stereo. I have to say the line arrays are quite convincing doing Home Theatre and in a demo I'd surely use one of the startup/racing scenes from the movie Rush. My "Stereo" isn't quite standard with the mid/side manipulation I do either. If I could come up with a non intrusive way to add a center channel I would. Just to see where that would get me. As it stands I'd never get permission from my better half. I count myself lucky that I can get away with the arrays and have permission to add a couple of subs as well as all of this is setup in a normal living room we share as a family. In a dedicated room I'd go wild :D.

Not having heard an all out surround setup properly setup in a home I cannot judge that. However I did make sure to get the most pleasing performance even for HT.

The material I listen to is 80-90% Stereo. I have to say the line arrays are quite convincing doing Home Theatre and in a demo I'd surely use one of the startup/racing scenes from the movie Rush. My "Stereo" isn't quite standard with the mid/side manipulation I do either. If I could come up with a non intrusive way to add a center channel I would. Just to see where that would get me. As it stands I'd never get permission from my better half. I count myself lucky that I can get away with the arrays and have permission to add a couple of subs as well as all of this is setup in a normal living room we share as a family. In a dedicated room I'd go wild :D.

I hear you. I bet those line arrays do a fantastic job. Ive never heard a line array speaker but I would love to.

Yes, I tried doing HT in a shared space for a while - NOT! a good idea lol.

now I have a space that I could basically do anything I want. Painted black, 6x 18" subs, etc. love it.

Hi wesayso agree every thoughts you point out there, and thing with so much control is it probably also can be used output kind of fake polished higher performance recordings than was reality at happening, such pleasing edits wont get us closer to truth but it will probably help on producers selling more copies.

Hi Perceval probably because of computer power it looks there is much research into 3d sound these days, in below link a university close to me claims is "replicate the acoustics of any building that exists… or doesn’t", probably its worth a visit to hear claims for sound in London or below university but one thing is sure it wont fit easy in a existing traditional living room. :)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/sound-lab-replicate-any-acoustics/