A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2017, 01:43 AM   #531
1201 is offline 1201  United States
diyAudio Member

Eureka - I found it!!!

A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks-physcoacoustic-jpg

for some reason, setting the Psychoacoustic Target to none using
PTType = N ##original was M

fixed it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Physcoacoustic N.jpg (94.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 20th July 2017, 02:09 AM   #532
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

130dB?

Is that from a huge line array for outdoors Rock Concerts?
Old 20th July 2017, 02:13 AM   #533
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
130dB?

Is that from a huge line array for outdoors Rock Concerts?
Thats the computed filter from drc. I wouldnt pay attention to the DB level
Old 20th July 2017, 12:45 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
It all depends of course, but material mixed for stereo and played back on a system with a real center is going to be different from 2 speaker stereo with phantom center. Much of the success of that would depend on the up-mix algorithm.

Does material mixed for surround sound subjectively better or more real using the real center? Do you use the center for Stereo?

I don't use a (real) center, but my EQ is different for HT vs Stereo music for a good reason. The differences aren't huge, but a surround mix tends to sound tonally different than regular stereo. Especially in a room with reduced early reflections.

The Toole measurements posted in the thread I linked before give clear indications as to why, even if it is just part of the answer.

you are correct. adding the center to a stereo sound changes it.

I never do that actually. Im mostly home theater so I deploy each sound to its correct speaker.

Its interesting that you do not use a center speaker - I used to like the phantom center, but after dialing in my actual center I cant stand the phantom center any longer
Old 21st July 2017, 11:40 AM   #535
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Not having heard an all out surround setup properly setup in a home I cannot judge that. However I did make sure to get the most pleasing performance even for HT.

The material I listen to is 80-90% Stereo. I have to say the line arrays are quite convincing doing Home Theatre and in a demo I'd surely use one of the startup/racing scenes from the movie Rush. My "Stereo" isn't quite standard with the mid/side manipulation I do either. If I could come up with a non intrusive way to add a center channel I would. Just to see where that would get me. As it stands I'd never get permission from my better half. I count myself lucky that I can get away with the arrays and have permission to add a couple of subs as well as all of this is setup in a normal living room we share as a family. In a dedicated room I'd go wild .
Old 21st July 2017, 12:43 PM   #536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
Not having heard an all out surround setup properly setup in a home I cannot judge that. However I did make sure to get the most pleasing performance even for HT.

The material I listen to is 80-90% Stereo. I have to say the line arrays are quite convincing doing Home Theatre and in a demo I'd surely use one of the startup/racing scenes from the movie Rush. My "Stereo" isn't quite standard with the mid/side manipulation I do either. If I could come up with a non intrusive way to add a center channel I would. Just to see where that would get me. As it stands I'd never get permission from my better half. I count myself lucky that I can get away with the arrays and have permission to add a couple of subs as well as all of this is setup in a normal living room we share as a family. In a dedicated room I'd go wild .
I hear you. I bet those line arrays do a fantastic job. Ive never heard a line array speaker but I would love to.

Yes, I tried doing HT in a shared space for a while - NOT! a good idea lol.

now I have a space that I could basically do anything I want. Painted black, 6x 18" subs, etc. love it.
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:13 PM   #537
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
...now I have a space that I could basically do anything I want...
Having its own space seems probably a good idea for future and going wild : ) they setup more than 25 speakers into this link (see movie) and it probably sounds very nice The Pink Floyd Exhibition „ Their Mortal Remains”.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:54 AM   #538
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It must be awful and wonderful at the same time having to mix for so many different sources.
Awful in the sense that it takes forever to really know what you hear and where to put everything, wonderful because of all the possibilities and the ability to change anything at will.
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:07 AM   #539
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Too bad I don't have any trip to Europe scheduled anytime soon... that's something I'd like to hear!
Old 23rd July 2017, 04:49 PM   #540
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi wesayso agree every thoughts you point out there, and thing with so much control is it probably also can be used output kind of fake polished higher performance recordings than was reality at happening, such pleasing edits wont get us closer to truth but it will probably help on producers selling more copies.

Hi Perceval probably because of computer power it looks there is much research into 3d sound these days, in below link a university close to me claims is "replicate the acoustics of any building that exists… or doesn’t", probably its worth a visit to hear claims for sound in London or below university but one thing is sure it wont fit easy in a existing traditional living room.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...any-acoustics/

A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networksHide this!Advertise here!