Frugel-Horn MK3: help my build in Northern Sweden - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2015, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel-Horn MK3: help my build in Northern Sweden

Hi,
I am new in Europe, and this will be my first real built here. I don't know the stores here, and what are the local tricks.

I am now planning to built a pair of frugal horn mk3 on 18mm plywood with Alpair 7 3rd generation.

1st question: Where is a reasonable place to buy the Alpair (given shipping cost and duty if applicable)? I looked at the Mark Audio distributor from their web site, but I would like to know if there is a little hidden gem where I could snap a deal?

2nd question: Stuffing. What do you recommend? For that stuff, shipping cost is on the same scale as the product given the volume (I may be wrong). What would you recommend in term of stuffing material and the amount so that I have just too much, so I don't need another delivery?

3rd Question: Is there "home made" alternative for the stuffing material, that would perform on par with stuffing labelled "for audio"?

4rd Question: What would you recommend for protection of the drivers in a hostile environment (young kids who want to touch the drivers). One option is speaker grill, but I am sure creative people in the forum have experience more aesthetic options.

I am looking forward to ear your opinion, and I will post pictures of the progression. My time frame for the completion of this is about 6 months, so don't hold your breath for the pictures.

Best regards,
Old 10th June 2015, 07:07 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen12 View Post
1st question: Where is a reasonable place to buy the Alpair (given shipping cost and duty if applicable)?
Euro distribution always seems in flux. I do know i was surprised that the new UK gus had similar pricing to Madisound here in NA. If you want to bust the budget i can ship a set of matched/EnABLed drivers from here in Canada.

Quote:
2nd question: Stuffing. What do you recommend? For that stuff, shipping cost is on the same scale as the product given the volume (I may be wrong). What would you recommend in term of stuffing material and the amount so that I have just too much, so I don't need another delivery?
For our flat-paks (and A7.3) i ship 2x30g acoustastuff for the points and 2x40g for under the driver. Tpically about 1/2 the 40g will get used, more or less needed depending on room, room placement and taste.

Quote:
3rd Question: Is there "home made" alternative for the stuffing material, that would perform on par with stuffing labelled "for audio"?
One can use "pillow stuffing", polyester or dcron wool available from the craft/fabric store or long haired sheep's wool. The damping properties of these can vary a lot. If ou use wool probable best to mix it will polfluff to keep it from sagging.

dave
Old 10th June 2015, 11:08 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

as for driver protection - the purist's distaste for grilles, etc notwithstanding, I can full appreciate the caution - a slightly compromised functioning pair of A7s beat a damaged pair any day of the week

for maximum protection, a stamped or open mesh metal grille something like this would be my best bet

Click the image to open in full size.

Madisound, in nice increments from 4.5" to 12", dirt cheap - ($3.50 to 10.00 pair -international shipping would cost more - but a similar product would likely be available through your closest distributor
Old 11th June 2015, 10:32 AM   #4
MAW61 is offline MAW61  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen12 View Post
Hi,
1st question: Where is a reasonable place to buy the Alpair (given shipping cost and duty if applicable)? I looked at the Mark Audio distributor from their web site, but I would like to know if there is a little hidden gem where I could snap a deal?
Alpair 7 3rd Generation (gold & gray) should be available from RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers in the Netherlands for EUR 168 plus EUR 13 S&H to Sweden (that's about SEK 1,675).

I've dealt with Rudi a few times. A very knowledgable and helpful bloke.

MAW
Old 11th June 2015, 12:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another option for speaker grilles is to use wire finger guards for boxer fans.
Old 11th June 2015, 08:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you!
Old 11th June 2015, 08:56 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Copper A7.3 (confusing that they are called gold) 116 = $180 USD = 159 EUR, don't know whether that includes UK VAT, if it does a bargain.

Also available in Silver (called Grey).

Alpair 7M Gold | Oak Audio

dave
Old 12th June 2015, 06:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Copper A7.3 (confusing that they are called gold) 116 = $180 USD = 159 EUR, don't know whether that includes UK VAT, if it does a bargain.

Also available in Silver (called Grey).

Alpair 7M Gold | Oak Audio

dave
Thanks,
I just contacted them for a quote for the shipping cost to Sweden.

Hide this!Advertise here!