FAST or Econowave w. 15tbx40 woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- already have some waveguides and knockdown trapezoidal cabinets laying around - but wonder if a "FAST" with passive network might be fun ? - the fullrange ideally should be inexpensive yet good - (I do have w8-1772 not in use)

http://bcspeakers.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/03/11/16/08/44/296/file

IdvbCqf.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Your W8-1772 could be open baffle (on a 12 in wide baffle) and set the XO at 350Hz. Use a K15 for the 15TBX40. You need a miniDSP to make things easy rather than always messing with PLLXO's. Alternatively, make the KaZba for the 15TBX40 and have a full dipole system. You will definitely need miniDSP to do the EQ to get a flat FR from the dipole woofer.

hi X - its a matter of space for setup, but in my closet are two H-baffles which can run GW1858 - those would probably go a bit lower than a reflex loaded with 15tbx40 - are there any turn-on/off thumps with a 2x4 MiniDSP? (I should have plotted these cabinets out to 1K)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
the miniDSP's do not have turn on/off thumps but when enabling or disabling a channel via software, there is sometimes a mild pop (not thump). Nothing serious but it is audible. If you buy the $2 analog-to-digital volume pot and turn that down first, then no pop whatsover even when connecting or disconnecting inputs into the miniDSP.

What are your goals, preferences and constraints and what waveguide do you have?

Controlled directivity (ala Ewave) is a good thing in my experience but those TB W8 drivers do look interesting (I'd try them sealed, open, cardiod if I had them).

If you want to experiment with different alignments and component configurations consider going modular and making a bass bin out of the trap cab. Can maybe integrate your waveguide or W8 driver later too if you design and assemble the box with that in mind.

got QSC waveguide, B&C DE25 and Dayton knockoff - that B&C really eats power to get much sense of dynamics - got 1kw/channel which might wake it - besides space constraints, I rarely feel up to doing much anymore. The trap cabinet could be :bottom vented like GR Koonce did reflex; rear vented, or if the waveguide goes "on top", front vented. It could also run sealed with a capacitor "boost" on the woofer.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
not me but he diy-world is free

Your W8-1772 could be open baffle (on a 12 in wide baffle) and set the XO at 350Hz. Use a K15 for the 15TBX40. You need a miniDSP to make things easy rather than always messing with PLLXO's. Alternatively, make the KaZba for the 15TBX40 and have a full dipole system. You will definitely need miniDSP to do the EQ to get a flat FR from the dipole woofer.

That's one way I would NEVER use a w8-1772: in an open baffle.
The darn thing is lean enough on it's own below 700Hz as it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.