How to use the 167e in a center channel? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2004, 06:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to use the 167e in a center channel?

I am almost finished with my MLTL's (Bob Brines model) that use a single Fe167e from Fostex and am already looking down the road toward getting a center channel made to match.

I obviously cannot use the same size box on top of the TV so would love some input as to how to do the center channel. Am I right in assuming that I can compensate for a smaller box by adding a second 167 in the cneter channel box (for a 3db increase)? Probably in a 167 port 167 configuration.

Thanks for input.
Old 4th February 2004, 07:43 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How are the listening positions arranged wrt the mains? If you don't watch from way off to the sides and your speakers image well (which they should) it is hard to beat a virtual centre...

dave
Old 4th February 2004, 09:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've always thought (maybe erroneously) that LF is less critical for a center channel speaker. If that's true, then a smaller BR box should work. As for phantom centers (American spelling) I can see the appeal unless you can get the sound from the center speaker to come out of the middle of your display.
Old 5th February 2004, 02:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The listening position is not perfect right now (slightly off-axis), but I may rearrange the living room to adjust for that. I am hoping for very good stageing with these speakers but what is great about a ccenter channel is that you can reinforce the vocals so that you hear the dialogue much better.

I know mine will not do it but I do not know if other high end receivers will increase center channel volume independently from left/right when using a virtual speaker setup.

I saw the Channel One speaker on the fostex guys website. Not Fostex.com but http://www.fostexspeakers.com/fostex.html and am thinking something along those lines. Except 25 wide by 10 by 13 seems huge to put above a normal tube TV - maybe a projection no problem but not my 27inch. I will need to downsize it I think.
Old 5th February 2004, 03:05 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerfip
but what is great about a ccenter channel is that you can reinforce the vocals so that you hear the dialogue much better.
id your speakers image and you have good listening position all a centre channel does is to collapse the image -- it doesn't improve anything. they are a band-aid for poor seating position and poor mains (and unfortunatly for DTS)

dave
Old 5th February 2004, 04:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

By reinforce I meant that I could increase the volume of the center channel where most of the vocals on digital is sent to. I will be trying it out when I finish the speakers this weekend so I will see how it goes. In some movies it is some times hard for me to hear what they are saying over some of the special effects.

I may rearrange the room so that I am in a triangle instead of on square and see how that works.
Old 5th February 2004, 04:56 AM   #7
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerfip
By reinforce I meant that I could increase the volume of the center channel where most of the vocals on digital is sent to.... In some movies it is some times hard for me to hear what they are saying over some of the special effects.
i have the same problem
Old 5th February 2004, 05:39 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Use two 167s in a bipole layout with the rear one rolled off so it acts only to compensate for baffle step loss. This is the standard CYA suggestion.

If you're in an experimental mood, while I'm with Dave on setting the room up so that you get a strong phantom center, I've noticed that they've started mixing movies with a strong mono center and the 'mains' relegated to little more than front surrounds, so I propose a limited BW high intelligibility CC alignment based on human hearing and perception research to add just a little center 'fill' as required:

The response above 2kHz rolls off 3dB for each octave, i.e. -3dB at 4kHz; -6dB at 8kHz; -9dB at 16kHz. The response from 125Hz to 2kHz is flat with a window of 2dB. Frequencies below 125Hz are rolled off at 6dB/octave, though in this case a max flat BR is fine since it will be XOing to a sub.

Obviously, this will either require some experimentation to do the EQ acoustically or add a dedicated digital EQ for just the CC.

GM
Old 5th February 2004, 05:46 AM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Use two 167s in a bipole layout with the rear one rolled off so it acts only to compensate for baffle step loss....GM
did you have to double the box volume too?
according to http://www.fostexspeakers.com/fostex.html the 206 is the fostex fullrange to get.

i prefer the smaller fostex for 2 reasons. smaller box size and less beaming at upper freqenccies.

i assume the whizzer cone is designed to compensate for the beaming. the whizzer cone is sort of like a passive radiator (albeit at higher freq). how well behaved is the response of thiswhizzer? my guess is that this whizzer is what creates the raggedness in the upper freq.
Old 5th February 2004, 08:40 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
did you have to double the box volume too?
yes

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!