seas 8" fa22rcz video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last week I finished the Sea 8" full range - FA22RCZ in 60 ltr ~ 2cf sealed cabinets. The baffles are veneered in bubinga, the tops/sides with maple and the wood is 18mm 13ply Baltic birch. Their internal dimensions came out about as intended 9.5"w 34"h 11.5"d, so I was able to mill both cabs from one 4' x 8' sheet.

I went with Dave's suggestion and put the driver close to the top, lined the top, sides and back from the top to just below the driver. 1 lb of polystuff was used for each cab, a bit on the light side of the typical .5lb - .75lb/cf. In the past I've general aimed for the middle of the range only to find myself removing some and more thoroughly teasing the rest that stays. I teased little snowflake-like pieces and dropped them into the cabs...the 1 lb filled up to just about the driver line.

For EQ the Seas recommends anywhere from .8 - 1.5mH inductor and 7 - 15R resistor. I used a 1.2mH inductor as I had a couple on hand and paralleled them with a 12R resistor. These pairs were put in series with the + speaker leads.

I'm very pleased with their sound quality! An obvious comparison for me would be with my only other large, floorstanding build - Alpair 12P Pensil (standard not super).

While I didn't perform an A/B side-by-side and probably won't, the 12Ps are my very favorite and as my go-to speaker, I've come to know it well over the years....I've listened to the Seas for about a week and their drivers had about 100hrs of break-in on the bench before installation.

My general impressions: The 12Ps don't need EQ, have more finesse and provide greater detail from the higher mids and up, perform better off-axis and probably have the edge at lower volumes. The Seas have a much bigger, dynamic sound with a better and stronger (not louder) low end that rolls off more smoothly going down and perform better at higher SPLs. Their imaging in these cabinets is outstanding....and that's about it.

Mario

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_3217.jpg
    IMG_3217.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 341
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.