3" full range with exceptional off-axis response + power handling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on FaitalPRO 3FE25 3" full-range for the dash of my car. These will be firing straight up, at the windshield.
I listen to rock and jazz at moderate to high volumes.
These will be paired up with a 7" Dayton midbass and need exceptional off-axis top end response and be able to play down to at least 400hz at moderate to high volumes.

Any suggestions other than the FaitalPRO that I'm about to buy?
Wattage will be Class D 100W/channel @ 4ohms just because that's the amp I'll have to use.

Can I ask why off axis response is important? After all much of what you will hear will be on axis output, reflected from the windshield into your face... Almost all drivers will be omnidirectional at your crossover point anyway.
In my opinion, the physical separation is the biggest obstacle to good integration of the two drivers. I'm sure those familiar with miniDSP could suggest a method of delay which would mitigate the separation effect. (not me as I have no idea about miniDSP ��)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, the SB Acoustics is not one I've looked at yet and it seems like a solid speaker and is within budget.
Are you just bringing it up as another option or are you suggesting it's a better choice than the Faital?

Faital is good but you asked for better off axis and a smaller 2.5in is better there. If your rear chamber is small the 3FE22 is better with lower Qts.

Since power handling / x-max - as meaningful or comparable as those are between different makers- are generally quoted at lower frequencies than the XO you suggest, you need to ask yourself just exactly how hard and long you expect to ride them.

And as mondo points out, since most of what you hear will be reflected off the windshield, off axis performance is probably far less important than their expected life span due to driving levels and UV exposure and possibly baking at over 100F , whether parked or driving with the AC on

Freddi - one of these things is not like the other

Last edited:
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/5f-8422t01.pdf

Ever came across these? They really sound great! they go to 100hz&80db so they arent that loud...

Got two of them in a portable speaker for half a year right now and using them every day with pleasure :) if i am listening at "gentle volumes they dig down to 50hz together with two passive's.... Using bass boost by dsp to stay lineair of course ;-)

Whenever I read "for my car", I remember the quick measurements I made of SPL and FFT withe the Studio Six Digital app on my iPad. I drive a cheap Ford Ranger on the highway about 40km a day - noise floor is well over 70dB at speed- with windows up - much of that energy well below 100Hz. That kind of noise floor is something to keep in mind.

I have a pair of these peerless 2.5" in my dash where the factory tweeters were. Crossed at about 300Hz to a pair of 6 3/4 woofers in the doors (polk audio from components). System is biamped using a rockford fosgate 5 channel thing (10" kicker subwoofer under the rear bench seat). Nothing in the rear doors (no need in my opinion save max SPL ******* contest). This setup works extremely well with low complexity. edit: for future reference: i am in a 2013 nissan frontier crew cab, the 2.5" peerless mid-tweets are the exact size and mounting pattern of the outgoing factory paper cone tweeters. I got really lucky that they fit.

Last edited:
they are passive, but biamped. there is a second order filter made using cheap coils and poly caps I had laying around. result is about 300hz, maybe a hair lower. I can get it to distort though if I crank up to "outside the car party" levels. I am considering moving the crossover to effectively 500-600 >2nd order acoustic. It works well for my commute at reasonable levels though, so I doubt this will ever happen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.