Anthony Gallo Strada 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not entirely your model but discussions like this: Gallo Micro SE: How can a speaker this small sound this good? - CNET led me to believe Tangband is the producer.

But they might very well have their own OEM driver model, made by Tangband.

I can't answer that last question for you. But I do know there are several popular Tangband models. Just google ;) them.

With the right driver I bet one could make a killer Gallo like speaker after a visit to Ikea to get some bowls. Look at the http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/274092-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-drivers-round-2-a.html thread for inspiration on drivers to use!

But reading the original message you don't plan on building your own. Just want to find out what it is they are doing. Here might be an interesting view: Improve Your Soundstage for $2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
In post #9 the Gallo comes into the picture, the concept created quite a discussion on that forum. I think some of it might actually be very real.

Isn't Orb the other company that does this type of thing? On this forum there are examples of home made speakers inspired by the Gallo's.

Not entirely your model but discussions like this: Gallo Micro SE: How can a speaker this small sound this good? - CNET led me to believe Tangband is the producer.

But they might very well have their own OEM driver model, made by Tangband.

I can't answer that last question for you. But I do know there are several popular Tangband models. Just google ;) them.

With the right driver I bet one could make a killer Gallo like speaker after a visit to Ikea to get some bowls. Look at the http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ind-comparison-3in-5in-drivers-round-2-a.html thread for inspiration on drivers to use!

But reading the original message you don't plan on building your own. Just want to find out what it is they are doing. Here might be an interesting view: Improve Your Soundstage for $2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
In post #9 the Gallo comes into the picture, the concept created quite a discussion on that forum. I think some of it might actually be very real.

Isn't Orb the other company that does this type of thing? On this forum there are examples of home made speakers inspired by the Gallo's.

I'm using strada 2 and the sub. They are just a touch clinical I think, which is where my concerns come from. Sound stage is exceptional like everyone says and it doesnt matter really where you position them, which is the main reason I got them. I just want a bit more velvet and warmth.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wonder what the internal damping on the spheres is because a round chamber has a strong resonance corresponding to the fundamental spherical mode. Baffling and heavy damping would be needed to avoid that. The external sphere helps to reduce diffraction but has a lot of baffle step loss so bass below 1kHz starts falling off. It would be good to see measurements.

I don't know the material, but because of the small size, the frequency will be relatively high, and thus more easily damped out. I guess this ties into the recent discussion on spherical speakers. One strategy: make them small.

Since sub/sat systems have become the dominant form of speaker, people no longer seem to realize that they are a rather severe compromise -- essentially a trick that you can get away with. While they may help ensure domestic bliss, a tiny sub sat system is generally speaking not going to have the "velvet and warmth" of the monkey coffins of yore.

The important thing in my view WRT warmth is the sub. The strada speakers themselves are inhibited by their size and the baffle step. They are not even going to contribute to the warmth region, which *I* generally consider to be ~ the two octaves below middle C. (Other opinions vary...) So, the first thing to do is dial your crossover up to the max. If you're running them crossed at 80hz or something, there's going to be a big void in the warmth region. If tweaking the crossover point is not enough, consider a second sub.

Anyone else remember when Anthony Gallo was a DIY guy and had a speaker building web page? Must have been ~20 years ago.

Another thing to consider is that small speakers like this tend to have very wide dispersion, almost quasi omni. The room acoustics will play a bigger role then normal. IOW, if you have hard surfaces and a bright sounding room already, tiny quasi spherical satellite speakers will make it more so. Consider adding carpet, wall traps, ceiling treatment, etc.

If none of that helps, I bet a cheap big paper cone subwoofer would sound less clinical than that fancy thing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.