Suggestions for cost effective freq analysis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2015, 05:23 PM   #1
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for cost effective freq analysis

Want to so some frequency analysis on speakers I'm playing with. What's a good choice for a cost effective frequency analyzer? I won't do a lot of it, so I don't want to invest in a $500 microphone, so I'm looking for something that will allow me to use my existing laptop, and if needed a cheap mic, for basic readings. Any suggestions?
Old 12th May 2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

MiniDSP Umic-1?
Old 12th May 2015, 06:19 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

RealTraps - Measuring Microphones
Old 12th May 2015, 06:56 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Dayton UMM-6 mic ($70) and free REW software.

You can cheap out with Panasonic WM61A mic capsules (same units in calibrated mics) for $2 ea. need to wire them as electret condenser mics. Those are flat within 2dB from 20Hz to 20kHz.
Old 12th May 2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

The basic setup is a USB audio interface with phantom power for the mic, and cheap measurement mic from Dayton, Behringer, Nady, etc. This will set you back about $100-150 bucks.

There are at least a couple different free applications for measuring. I use holm impulse, but many folks use REW.

You do need a special measurement mic. All mics are not flat, and in fact most do not have flat response.

There's a cheaper way if you've got a smartphone. PE sells this calibrated mic. Add the cost of a decent RTA app and you'll be set up for under $30. Haven't tried the mic yet myself, though I do have audiotool for android, just for fun.
Old 12th May 2015, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
The basic setup is a USB audio interface with phantom power for the mic, and cheap measurement mic from Dayton, Behringer, Nady, etc. This will set you back about $100-150 bucks.

There are at least a couple different free applications for measuring. I use holm impulse, but many folks use REW.

You do need a special measurement mic. All mics are not flat, and in fact most do not have flat response.

There's a cheaper way if you've got a smartphone. PE sells this calibrated mic. Add the cost of a decent RTA app and you'll be set up for under $30. Haven't tried the mic yet myself, though I do have audiotool for android, just for fun.
That is why I suggested the UMM-6 it combines the mic preamp and USB ADC into the mic head so you don't have to calibrate your preamp. Plus it saves on one less piece of equipment.

I got the idea for the Panasonic WM-61A capsule from Siegfried Linkwitz's website. He in fact uses it and said it was quite flat from the factory. He had simple circuits you build to make a usable mic for measurement.

I personally like the convenience of the UMM-6. It is always plugged in and ready to measure.

The little $15 mic from PE for the smartphone looks interesting.
Old 12th May 2015, 07:57 PM   #7
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I posted before I saw your suggestion. I forgot about the UMM6. It saves the cost of the interface, as you say. IME USB *can* be less the reliable, but at half the cost it may be just fine.
Old 12th May 2015, 09:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This is the $2 Panasonic mic capsule that is probably used in many commercial measurement mics.
http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs...BA5000CE22.pdf

Here are some very useful sites for essentially zero cost measurement setups:

John Conover: Using the Panasonic WM61A as a Measurement Microphone

Click the image to open in full size.

This is what I initially used - very simple:

Here is SL's site for measurement:
System Test

This is a fancier one by SL with 10dB gain:

He also suggests surgery on the capsule to relieve it of the 105dB saturation - needed for near field tests.

Last edited by xrk971; 12th May 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 13th May 2015, 02:49 PM   #9
jjcarr is offline jjcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Think I'll check out that Dayton Audio one, seems a good deal and I've always been happy with their stuff.
Old 13th May 2015, 03:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
Think I'll check out that Dayton Audio one, seems a good deal and I've always been happy with their stuff.
There is a third party company that buys the Dayton UMM-6 and resells it for $100 with what they claim to be a better calibration. Not sure if you are interested but I can dig that up. There are some on this forum who worry that Dayton's calibration. I have had good success with mine as it is free from erratic data points in cal file.

Hide this!Advertise here!