2 Full range drivers in one OB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2015, 09:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 Full range drivers in one OB?

This is probably a stupid question but would it be a good or bad idea to fit 2 different full range drivers in a single open baffle enclosure intended for use in a mono setup? One driver is a Wharfedale Super 12 and the other an Altec Lansing 409-8E 8".
I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to speaker enclusore design so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you put two drivers away from each other, interference will occur. This starts to be noticeable when the drivers are mounted 1/4 wavelengths away.

With full range speakers, the distance between the two drivers will be over 1/4 wavelength for a large part of the frequencies that the drivers are asked to reproduce. Not so good.

However, this being said, these drivers are perhaps great as relics from the past, but don't expect modern performance from them - except in the efficiency department. So, have fun and see how it goes.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:09 PM   #3
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
maybe a simple first order low pass for the larger driver...a 1-1/2 way speaker.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRSA View Post
would it be a good or bad idea to fit 2 different full range drivers in a single open baffle enclosure intended for use in a mono setup? One driver is a Wharfedale Super 12 and the other an Altec Lansing 409-8E 8".
Bad idea for 2 different drivers, but good idea for 1 Altec Lansing 409-8E in a open baffle. Altec is a coaxial two-way ceiling loudspeaker with Fs=90 Hz, so do not expect deep bass. It already has a 6dB/octave symmetrical crossover, but do increase the value of the inductor for the midbass (add some winding) and decrease the value of the capacitor for the tweeter.
Wharfedale needs a vented box.

Last edited by Sonce; 12th May 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Evan, that is some very good advise. Btw, I am much impressed by quality of the work shown on your site. Very nice!
Old 12th May 2015, 12:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post
maybe a simple first order low pass for the larger driver...a 1-1/2 way speaker.
This is also OK, but I would rather use the Wharfedale super 12 in a another (vented) box, it is pity to use a fullrange driver merely as a woofer.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Squeak is online now Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Do a splayed baffle to get less beaming than with one driver.
That way you will use both drivers to their fullest.
Old 12th May 2015, 01:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I think I'll leave the wharfedale for time being, along with the mono setup. I do have two of the Altec drivers so I'll experiment with them for now, in stereo.
Old 13th May 2015, 01:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

So how would I go about doing something like this with the Altec Lansings:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

No, Altec 409 has high Qts parameter, so it is not overly suitable for back-loaded horn as on the photo. Open baffle or closed box is better, and in-the-wall mounting is the best.

Hide this!Advertise here!