Which Mark Audio speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some new speakers and I'd like some advice on my choices. I had a set of Fostex fe103e drivers in the fostex BLH which I really like but one of the drivers stopped working. I've got a 6v6 SE amp which is only about 2 watts or so, but it's enough to drive these speakers well enough that it's not pleasant to be in the room with it turned all the way up. I'll need something with similar sensitivity.

I'd like to use Mark Audio drivers in my replacement and I'm not sure which ones to choose. Besides the bigger ones getting more expensive, there doesn't seem to be huge differences. What would work best for me? I'm thinking maybe A7p pensils or FH3? I was also thinking A10p in the FHXL but it's probably too big for my room (about 12 feet wide x 25 feet long.) What do you guys think would work?

thanks,

Andy

I was also thinking A10p in the FHXL but it's probably too big for my room (about 12 feet wide x 25 feet long.) What do you guys think would work?

I've had the P10 XL's in my room. They worked just fine, so I see no reason why they wouldn't work for you, as it's about the same size as your room, just a different shape. The A12p's are a little more efficient (in a Super Pensil box), but don't go quite as deep in the bass, if that's important.

jeff

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am now a firm believer in FAST as best way to achieve the full range magic and have good clean bass while keeping the bass from mucking up the mids and highs. If you want high sensitivity and willing to be in the circa $100 price point - look at the PRV 5MR450NDY. That driver sounds superb and has very high sensitivity. Put in a sealed or OB. Then get a high sensitivity 15in pro audio woofer in a sealed box. Active XO at about 400Hz or PLLXO with bi amp. Don't just limit yourself to any one brand of drivers. Look at the specs and frequency response curves, read others' opinions, look at measured data from builds and make your decision. If you are OK with 91dB sensitivity - look at Faital Pro 3FE22 or 3FE25. Even 4FE32 is good if you want more power handling and still 91dB. Those drivers are very smooth and excellent sounding and put you in $40 to $30 price range.

Last edited:
My only real complaint about my previous speakers was that the bass didn't go quite deep enough, so I had also been thinking of a FAST setup. I figure I could probably add a helper woofer later onto whatever I buy now if I'm not happy. Makes sense right?

I am now a firm believer in FAST as best way to achieve the full range magic and have good clean bass while keeping the bass from mucking up the mids and highs.
Welcome to the world of Multi-Way . . . (where unfortunately woofer-mid plus tweeter currently rules, and woofer plus mid-tweeter is generally ignored).

Any dual-use system will have a sub-woofer, generally crossed at around the "standard" 80 Hz. (which makes sense for a lot of reasons, not least being the near total domination of the room below that). So the "FAST" design decisions come down essentially to two . . . whether the "woofer" gets two octaves or three, and which "full range" to use above that. Everything else follows naturally from those choices . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.