what's a rough estimate of Modpodge/water to cover a pair of 8 or 10 FR? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2015, 09:13 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default what's a rough estimate of Modpodge/water to cover a pair of 8 or 10 FR?

in ounces. what would be a guesstimate to coat two 8" or two 10" Nirvana with one coat of Modpodge mixed 50/50 with water? - I'd like to keep the added weight reasonably close and go by volume.
Old 1st May 2015, 12:39 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

50/50 is WAY too much water. Maybe 80/20, maybe less -- it all depends on the state of your modpodge.

Won't take much. Much less than an ounce.

dave
Old 1st May 2015, 03:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks for the input and warning
Old 1st May 2015, 03:32 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You are welcome.

Just as a point of interest, the 16 oz bottles i buy last a long-long time. Years.'

dave
Old 1st May 2015, 12:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Never tried this modpodge. There seems to be many different varieties. Is there one variety in particular to use ?
Old 1st May 2015, 05:30 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I like using the gloss.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

dave
Old 1st May 2015, 07:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

a one inch brush seemed about right for the 10" cones and went fast - I've got some 12 coax whose cones have white spots (mold?) - wonder what could be used on those to cosmetically improve the situation? - think they'd have to be covered individually even if applying tinted Modpodge - is there a good black to add to Modpodge?
Old 1st May 2015, 08:15 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Instead of water to thin the modpodge use black ink instead of water (actually black ink is dark blue). This will dye the cone at the same time you treat it.

dave
Old 1st May 2015, 08:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
a one inch brush seemed about right for the 10" cones and went fast - I've got some 12 coax whose cones have white spots (mold?) - wonder what could be used on those to cosmetically improve the situation? - think they'd have to be covered individually even if applying tinted Modpodge - is there a good black to add to Modpodge?
I think Modpodge is intended as a base layer, to seal and stabilize the cone and provide a non-absorbing surface for subsequent layers. From what I gather, the EnABL process would then proceed with the dots, then a spray clear-coat (like the stuff used for decoupage).

If you want them uniformly black, I'd be tempted to say "black spray paint". But only after the Modpodge layer, as a primer.

Dave is the expert, though. I am sure he will correct me if I am way off base here.

EDIT: Oops, I was typing while Dave posted. That's a cool idea with the ink, Dave. Thanks.

Last edited by cogitech; 1st May 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 1st May 2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Here in the west coast of Canada we grab our scuba gear and go right after the source. The best ink is from the Giant Pacific Octopus. If you make friends with one, they will allow you to 'milk' some of it without diluting it in the surrounding waters. We call it Octoblack and it will last for the lifetime of the drivers. The only drawback is you have to keep your cats away for the first couple of weeks but after that no problem.

Best to bring a friend, those Octopii can get awful friendly and with 8 arms, you have to be careful they don't get too promiscuous.

What? What do you mean off topic?

Hide this!Advertise here!