Any good DIY speaker designs for placement against wall?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been considering building the NAO Note II RS speaker for quite some time, having paid for the plans, bought some nice exotic wood, etc. The issue that is holding me back is the realization that I really don't have the practical space to set them far enough away from the front wall in order to really let them perform well. I have decided that I really have a preference for the more laid back type of presentation offered by dipoles, bipoles, omnis, etc. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a DIY design that can sound good when placed against the wall out of necessity?

The Jordan VTL TL is designed for use against a wall, although requires a toe-in for best imaging. When placed against the wall it is pretty room-friendly as it is only a little over 4" deep.

There is also a MLTL on the Jordan site (the MLTL-18) which can be wall-mounted.

One of the best solutions was the triangular version of the 48MLTL which a lot of people built for the JX92S. The design placed it against a wall but provided the correct angle for the speakers. The triangular cross-section removed any boxiness from the standard rectangular enclosure.

Magnaplanar make a speaker which is designed to be wall-mounted and swung out to the correct angle when listening. Similarly, the Quad ELS was supposed to work well when placed against a side wall. Would either of these options be possible with the NAO Note II or would they introduce too many reflections?

Last edited:
Up against a wall....!

Hi Marquis,

In my experience the best solution is to hang your loudspeakers on the wall like paintings...Use nice silk grills with your favorite photo's or art work digitally printed onto the silk....Very cool!

For great sound quality use drivers with the very best power response ( broadest on and off axis frequency response) which will fill your whole room in the most even and natural way.

BMR driver are perfectly suited to this application....Like any driver they vary in performance, price & sound quality...$ for $ The best BMR's are as good or better than anything else out there, and when used in a well designed on wall cabinet simply unbeatable.

If you search my post you will find loads of info on them...When it comes to BMR's I am the "Lone Crusader" round these here parts....But the few who have actually heard my designs are now coming round!!

I have attached a few pics...

All the best
Derek.

Attachments

• Steve image 2 IMG_24042014_134643.png
    Steve image 2 IMG_24042014_134643.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 593
  • On wall sperical array.jpg
    On wall sperical array.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 573
  • CIA on wall speakers image 1.jpg
    CIA on wall speakers image 1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 574
FWIW, I have a pair of Alpair 10.3M in golden ratio reflex boxes, and they work nicely nearly flat against the wall. The drivers are direct wired with no BSC, and the balance is just slightly warm. I agree with the other recommendations also: Synergy, Jordan VTL-TL and Cornu. I don't know about them Karlsonators.... ;)

Dipole, bipoles and omnis do not necessarily have a "laid back presentation" because of their dispersion pattern. Dipoles can in fact often be the opposite. It really depends on the particular design.

Considering your nearby wall, IMHO you are most likely better served with a monopole.

As Colin noted a few posts above, if suited to the room - not all have a pair of corners conveniently available* - the Jordan triangular floorstanding MLTL makes a lot of sense. I built a pair about 10yrs ago - unfortunately at least one of the drivers in the pair had been damaged, and when driven by an early chip amp with questionable power supply, the results were less than I was expecting - none of which I'd attribute to the enclosure design, or a proper working pair of drivers.

* for that matter, while all rooms have at least a couple of walls, it's been my experience that they're not always available or convenient for serious listening positions.

A shallow , narrow footprint floorstander that allows for the likely requisite amount of toe-in (or out as Bob B might recommend) still makes the most sense to me for case such as this.

The triangular MLTLs actually went flat against the back wall rather than in the corners, the triangle providing the recommended 60 degree toe-in. So any clear, back wall would be fine.

One design which also uses a wideband driver is the Linkwitz LXmini, which is specifically designed to give some of the benefits of OB but in a design which can be used close to walls.

Ref Dave's usual comments: It's possible he may have heard the non-Danish production. However I don't want to open up that again for the OP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.