10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Board Gerber files are now done.

attachment.php

I can offer these as a Group Buy - will create a new thread in the GB forum for folks to signup if interested.

Attachments

• 10F-RS225-XO-PCB-3D-Render.jpg
    10F-RS225-XO-PCB-3D-Render.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 987
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s detailed in the first 20 pages of this thread as I started out with DSP. You need a pair of amps for total of 4 channels. Connect to miniDSP (you are only using 4 of 10).

You need a microphone.

You have your choice of 1st order XO like this passive. It requires some adjustment of EQ to get rid of the breakup at 7kHz.

Or use the Harsch XO - explained in detail in its own thread. It has steeper slopes on woofer but still maintains a semi transient perfect response.

S. Harsch XO

The 1st order XO is also nice and it uses more of the bandwidth of the RS225 more, and has a more refined sound - great for jazz ensembles or delicate vocals.

The DSP route takes some work to get just right - but can correct for room artifacts which is nice. The passive XO is the easiest for people who don’t want to measure and futz with software and only use one nice amp. Perfect for use with your favorite Class A amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The TS parameters are slightly different. But for use in this speaker it makes no difference. In fact you can use TC9FD, TG9FD, RS100-8, B80, PS95-8 etc. just adjust the attenuation resistors to match the woofer level. The 10F and TG9 and TC9 will have the smoothest response. The truncated bezel is a pain though - cutting a rebate for that is not easy. Might be easier to add a piece of crescent or arc shaped wood or plastic. That gap will cause some diffraction artifacts of not smoothed out.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Speaking of very enjoyable speakers, just for a well-repected reference and a very different design to compare to, I ordered some LS50s, taking advantage of the KEF recent bargain prices.

The thing is, my WAW Reference Monitors have been really singing lately. I settled on an attentuation level for the 10F/8414, returned to 4.0 mH on the RS225, improved my speaker stand situation, went with more toe-in, moved some acoustic treatment around in the room. It is simple hard for me to imagine the KEFs sounding better overall. Different, yes I'm sure of that.

Should be fun!

Hi CGodecke,
Any word on the comparison between the 10F/RS225 and the LS50's? I have heard the LS50's in a store in Darmstadt about a year ago. I did not have a side by side comparision, but do recall that they seemed to have some pretty impressive bass from the bass reflex ports. I would say that the visceral 130Hz to 300Hz midbass punch is a lot less with a 5in driver than the 8in RS225 aluminum cone Dayton. But would be interesting to hear about your listening impressions.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vunce was asking me if this speaker could be made into a floorstander. And I thought as long as we are doing that, why not design a tapered TL (PMC style) that will give deeper bass that is still tight and not flappy like a bass reflex. Doodling around on Akabak seems to indicate that we can still get the same sensitivity and achieve -3dB at 32Hz. That's a huge difference from the 50Hz of the sealed cabinet. But this comes at the price of a larger and more complex cabinet.

Here is the predicted freuency response of the RS225 at 1m and 2.83v (4pi space) so far:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 10F-RS225-FAST-TL-Freq-v01.png
    10F-RS225-FAST-TL-Freq-v01.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,570
Hello XRK,

This is excellent. There should be a floor stander TL version always. I remember one member doing so. If you can fine tune this, it will be a nice addition to already good speaker. I am trying to do something similar for some time but cant seem to get to it.

Thanks
Balaji

Vunce was asking me if this speaker could be made into a floorstander. And I thought as long as we are doing that, why not design a tapered TL (PMC style) that will give deeper bass that is still tight and not flappy like a bass reflex. Doodling around on Akabak seems to indicate that we can still get the same sensitivity and achieve -3dB at 32Hz. That's a huge difference from the 50Hz of the sealed cabinet. But this comes at the price of a larger and more complex cabinet.

Here is the predicted freuency response of the RS225 at 1m and 2.83v (4pi space) so far:
803262d1576714640-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-10f-rs225-fast-tl-freq-v01-png

Hi X,

Would you share impedance curve for that 32Hz tapered TL simulation, you know one get curious on details of differences in objective data when sound performance is reported to be improved relative to ordinary bass reflex : )

BTW except for bragging rights or outdoor use not shure a lower roll frq number is always to the better in a real world room that normal have some real time pressurization gain plus up to six times reinforcement boundarys that could come more or less late and also include inteference nulls. That said you should be able to get a feel simulate sound at a carefull bit lower acoustic SPL those roll off differences in your own lab room using the sealed enclosures and set below cascaded filters in Jriver to transfer 2nd order @50Hz to 4th order @32.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• x_1.png
    x_1.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 650
  • x_2.png
    x_2.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 646
  • x_3.png
    x_3.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 643
Vunce was asking me if this speaker could be made into a floorstander.

This is what I want to do as well except I want BR instead of TL. My quasi RS Duet started out an MLTL (Paul K's design) and I listened to it for a while but ended up converting it to a BR. It goes very low and I don't think it's flabby at all. It just needs the level set for the RS225.