10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

...Here is the Purifi 6.5 two-way reference XO, nice wax and copper foil air core inductors, but those green resistors look like metal thick film to me. Does anyone know if these are premium resistors, and what brand?
813337d1580576177-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-purifi-spk5-ref-xo-design-jpg

ALL crossover components are from Jantzen. Then:

Jantzen 5W Superes resistors | Hifi Collective

jantzen-superes-resistors-5w-350.jpg

These are a high quality wire wound, ceramic core resistor rated at 5 watts. With a low noise specification and 1% tolerance they are a great resistor for crossover upgrades.

Characteristics:

1 % Tolerance
Low noise figure
Low inductance less than 0.7 uH
Instant overload capacity
Super heat dissipation, small linear temperature coefficient
Low annual shift
Flameprood and lightweight

Values available are 0.56R to 33R.

Last edited:
So wife said she wants the RS225 & PS95 lol- I copied Xove to Xsim and swapped out rs100 back and forth, looks like they are almost the same.(PS95 vs RS100) pretty sure it be negligible/inaudible. Its a shame though- I can build your TL for all but center speaker- which would suck my Front Stage would be odd. So working to figure that out.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Depending on your physical box size requirements - a very nice FAST center channel can be made with a pair of Peerless NE180W and your favorite full range. Assuming RS100 or SS 10F it should not be a problem and sound great. I am playing around with a pair of these woofers and they sound very nice. Smooth and easy to integrate into another 1st order crossover.

Another option in keeping in the RSxxx family is the RS180. I don’t have those yet to test so can’t comment whether or not they will work. But the published curves look very good and quite similar to the RS225. Two of the 8ohm shielded units in parallel will give 4ohm nominal so your amp needs to be able to handle 4ohms.

Dayton Audio RS180S-8 7" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 Ohm

Last edited:
Was considering the shelf mount TL(If i can find it)- If not ill do a ported cab- RS225 woofers need a bit of space to excel in my experience. Wife likes the look of the PS95 so im going to stick with that one. I have 0 WAF and can build what ever I want, but this time I want to make her enjoy them more.

XRK 971,

Do you think this full range from SB Acoustics(SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4) can be used in a similar configuration as the scan speak 10f/8424? notice the impedance is 4 ohm, sensitivity is 84dB and a few other T&S differences, however the freq. response rather flat.
Have you had any experience with this driver, it is cheap though US$16.50? You can get it from Madisound.com.

Spec sheet attached.

Attachments

• SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4 3_ Full Range.html.pdf
    357 KB · Views: 99
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XRK 971,

Do you think this full range from SB Acoustics(SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4) can be used in a similar configuration as the scan speak 10f/8424? notice the impedance is 4 ohm, sensitivity is 84dB and a few other T&S differences, however the freq. response rather flat.
Have you had any experience with this driver, it is cheap though US$16.50? You can get it from Madisound.com.

Spec sheet attached.

Look for the RS225-4ohm crossover that I designed for this speaker somewhere back there. It could work but would require a mesurement and Xsim to makes ure it is good. I can't say that it will work as a srop in replacement for either the 9ohm or 4 ohm woofer. Why not just ue a TC9FD? Costs even less and much better suited.

But if you wanted to try it, just double the 60uF to 120uF and use probably a jumper for R1. It might sound ok. Any cost you saved with the driver is now a very expensive XO cap unless you use a BP electrolytic bypassed with a fim cap. Or maybe two motor run caps (still about $40).

but might be perfect for line arrays!

yes indeed! i would add a tweeter though for the highest Hz's....

speaking of line array, i'm VERY curious to see what a bunch of fr58ex can do. At low volume, they have many strengths, among them is lightning fast bass and small detail retrieval. You have to strap them well though because they tend to vibrate

Last edited:
Look for the RS225-4ohm crossover that I designed for this speaker somewhere back there. It could work but would require a mesurement and Xsim to makes ure it is good. I can't say that it will work as a srop in replacement for either the 9ohm or 4 ohm woofer. Why not just ue a TC9FD? Costs even less and much better suited.

But if you wanted to try it, just double the 60uF to 120uF and use probably a jumper for R1. It might sound ok. Any cost you saved with the driver is now a very expensive XO cap unless you use a BP electrolytic bypassed with a fim cap. Or maybe two motor run caps (still about $40).

Thanks for the reply, just a thought, Owing to low effciency can I parallel 2 units and impedance is 2ohm, have you try type of combo before can two units can cause instability in use with solid state or Class D amps? your thoughts please? Thanks.