Boom box build for softball field and beach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone this is my first post and if it is in the wrong place then mods please move it to where it needs to be.

First off, I have fooled with car audio and have a halfway understanding of it but I have never done any building from the ground up. I am wanting to build a boom box that is blue tooth capable and will be loud enough to be played outdoors and softball tournaments while our team is warning up. I want the sound to be pretty clean and have volume. Bass or mid actually is important for sound quality but I do not need this thing to shake the ground.

I would like to keep it to something say 2 feet long and a foot or so deep and a foot or so tall. Not huge but not tiny either. Also of course I am looking to do this as cheap as possible but I know quality can't be achieved dirt cheap. I need some ideas of components to look at. So basically I want someone to help me with a plan to design this and I will build it.

I emailed a place that sells components and ask basically these same questions but feel like I was up sold big time. The battery they had suggested for powering the unit was 300 bucks. I do need some play time self powered possible 6 hours or so and also would like it to have a power supply that I could plug in if electricity was available. Would also like it to charge apple products by USB.

Thanks in advance.

With these external dimensions and a build out of 0.75" plywood, you can have up to ~ 40L internal volume.

Not a turnkey design, but if you are OK with a mono boombox and f3=70Hz, but pretty high SPL capability:

2x Eminence Beta 8A in 35L tuned to 70Hz. This would be a 2.5-way configuration. One Beta-8A will be low-passed at 375Hz to fill-in below baffle-step. The other will run to ~2kHz and meet a compression driver mounted on a constant-directivity waveguide, such as the JBL PT units or Dayton/Pyle clones. The compression driver could be almost anything that can play down to at least 2kHz, Eminence has some inexpensive candidates. It will basically be a single short tower speaker and will stand upright in a TMM configuration. Coverage should be even at ~90°, but the crossover has to be done right. A global high-pass at ~40Hz should not hurt response and will help protect the midbass drivers.

You'll need a 4ohm capable amp, but this will make for better midbass transients for lower voltage, as in car audio. Mono allows for a single 2ch amp to be bridged as well. This should be quite rugged and will play loud. Other designs could offer more bass, with the associated tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.