Advice needed: Alpair 10p/7p Tang Band W8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As much as I try, I cannot warm up to the MA paper drivers. The A7P, A10P and A12P all have a very high distortion peak around 600Hz, give or take, and I presume this is why. I very much like the A7.3 and the A10.3 metal drivers, though.

Bob

Ah Ha! Someone finally answered my questions paper vs. metal Alpairs (I think anyway). So Bob, does the 6A paper also have this 600 Hz distortion peak? I keep playing around with different ideas for "full range". I will be using a woofer from about 200 Hz and down. I will also be using a super tweeter starting at 5000, maybe as high as 6000. From what most people are saying here; the A7.3 is probably my first choice. Now, another idea is to go with the new Scan Discovery 10F mids (3 choices). These Scans get very good reviews just as the A7.3's do. Has anyone on this thread done a direct comparison of the A7.3s vs any of the Scan 10F's???

Thanks for any inputs!

decided to try out the A7.3 gold. Drivers ordered so hopefully will do some experiments during weekend.

Got 2 ideas:

1.still have my old celestion ditton 44 and 25,
ditton 44 got very nice bass its closed box crossed at 500 with 4th order, SPL is max 89db for that range, so im thinking about leaving bass as it is and pairing it with alpair 7.3 crossed at 500hz just with cap.

2. use my old leak 600 sandwich 13" woofer and and do similar. leaks woofer is crossed at 600hz

You could probably afford to HP the Alpair a bit lower than 500 - between 250 and 300 is a nice spot - but if you want to leave the XOs in the re-purposed Celestions or Leaks stock, then the higher point won't hurt. If you have a spare kicking about, this sounds like an opportunity to b-amp, and you could likely save a few quid (do you still say that?) by going with PLLXO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.