Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2018, 04:45 AM   #281
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
No idea if this has been linked before (Not me, I just viewed it).. Trying to take DMLs further. Materials tried, work to redue or fragment resonance modes.

Fantastic DIY Speakers for less than $30! - YouTube

That is a good intro video for beginners interested in DML technology.
Old 20th May 2018, 01:44 PM   #282
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yeah weird I had no luck at all with cap foam it sounds hollow. Like ringing all over. I wonder about the balsa.. But can't seem material in sheet form here . So you have t o cut up a big piece to create
Old 20th May 2018, 03:27 PM   #283
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
Yeah weird I had no luck at all with cap foam it sounds hollow. Like ringing all over. I wonder about the balsa.. But can't seem material in sheet form here . So you have t o cut up a big piece to create

Try boat builders suppliers. It's available in 6mm and thicker. Used as a core material in fibreglass boat building.
Old 5th June 2018, 05:04 PM   #284
Tinco is offline Tinco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Tech ingredients posted a new video. The title is a bit linkbaity, as is en vogue on youtube, but there's some nice new experimenting going on. He discovered acoustic ceiling panels are very good material, and those are pretty cheap and readily available.

World’s Best Speakers! - YouTube
Old 5th June 2018, 05:52 PM   #285
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinco View Post
Tech ingredients posted a new video. The title is a bit linkbaity, as is en vogue on youtube, but there's some nice new experimenting going on. He discovered acoustic ceiling panels are very good material, and those are pretty cheap and readily available.

Thanks for that link. This guys has basically done the hard work for this thread in his videos! Skip to 28 min in his vide for summary plots followed by sound clips. I have to say that they sound amazingly natural - never would have guessed acosutic ceiling tile works. Although is -10dB less sensitive than XPS.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:42 PM   #286
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinco View Post

The title pic on the vid says worlds best speaker for $115.00.

Other then use a different material like ceiling tiles (which has been done before) he did not add anything new to improve on the panels sound in itself. In fact he disregarded what he stressed so much in his first video about using counter weights.

The only reason it sounded better was because he used a better mic and instead of using only a pair of panels with only one exciter attached to each panel he used 4 pairs with a total of 8 exciters for increased bass response.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:54 PM   #287
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLBES View Post
The title pic on the vid says worlds best speaker for $115.00.

Other then use a different material like ceiling tiles (which has been done before) he did not add anything new to improve on the panels sound in itself. In fact he disregarded what he stressed so much in his first video about using counter weights.

The only reason it sounded better was because he used a better mic and instead of using only a pair of panels with only one exciter attached to each panel he used 4 pairs with a total of 8 exciters for increased bass response.
I agree i really dont know what the fuzz is about, he also measures up to 10khz...... erm something that is easy to reach with every material except concrete....XPS would suck all over above 10khz. and the way heavy ceiling tile even more. also it drops like 9 db compared to teh other materials. and as well the title is misleading as ****** i did watched his first one and was rather interested but by the looks of it he had to make a second video since it was a succes. bu the second one did not bring much to be honest.. ah well its free so i wont complain. its just that i did not learn anything that most of the people here did not know already.

getting midrange out of materials is not that hard

Last edited by WrineX; 5th June 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 5th June 2018, 10:18 PM   #288
Tinco is offline Tinco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That really is annoying, why would he only measure up to 10khz? Is the only reason it sounds good that it effectively filters out higher frequencies?
Old 6th June 2018, 01:27 AM   #289
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I think you guys are being too critical - it’s an excellent study and a lot of work to do what he did. Have you ever set up 8 speakers side by side and swapped out 15 combinations of rounding, sanding, materials, weights, locations of exciters? You have no appreciation for the level of work involved to do this. It’s not all obvious like you think. Go to 28min. He said it’s easier to pick materials that natively sound good as weights only move the dips around but can’t get rid of them. I think the sweep goes to 20kHz, the guy running REW only set it up to display 10kHz. If a speaker can cover up 12kHz it’s considered full range.
Old 6th June 2018, 10:09 AM   #290
DMLBES is offline DMLBES
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think you guys are being too critical - it’s an excellent study and a lot of work to do what he did. Have you ever set up 8 speakers side by side and swapped out 15 combinations of rounding, sanding, materials, weights, locations of exciters? You have no appreciation for the level of work involved to do this. It’s not all obvious like you think. Go to 28min. He said it’s easier to pick materials that natively sound good as weights only move the dips around but can’t get rid of them. I think the sweep goes to 20kHz, the guy running REW only set it up to display 10kHz. If a speaker can cover up 12kHz it’s considered full range.

He said its easier and more effective to pick and choose the panel with least amount of peaks and troughs and combine panels together in a single output. That is his reasoning for not utilizing the counter weights. The problem with that is that the average sized room is too small to have 8 huge panels hanging from the ceilings as its not practical. Its more practical to use only a pair of panels utilizing the counter weights. In his first video he kept it simple probably because he is utilizing Rich's design on P.E. Project Gallery....In his second vid he is using his own method which just complicates it into total chaos making it worse.

He thinks that using multiple panels (in his case 4) and combining different types of materials, exciters, placements and out puts together will produce the most coherent and or best sound. Its like trying to build a line array using all different drivers. LOL Or the old school method of buying 4 different brand of speakers and combining all of them together thinking it will fill in the gaps that each individual pair of speakers alone lack.

Why should I appreciate the level of work he did? He didn't do it for me and everything he said in the video I already knew. In DIY there is always a level of work that comes with the territory. If you don't want to put in any work its best to just buy ready made gear instead of building it.....I myself have spent that last 3-4 years perfecting my DML panel design so I know the level of work, time, and money that's involved.

Last edited by DMLBES; 6th June 2018 at 10:17 AM.

A Study of DML's as a Full Range SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!