Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PVC pipe speakers
PVC pipe speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2015, 11:08 AM   #11
bogdan2011 is offline bogdan2011
diyAudio Member

You're right, they're very sensible regarding the placement and the room. When you have a driver that's big enough (like a subwoofer), it doesn't really matter if the room sounds bad. The bass will probably sound like crap, but you'll still have plenty of it.
I also have some BRs with 6.5 inch woofers and they struggle with the room too.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:16 PM   #12
glenv6 is offline glenv6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan2011 View Post
Wow, sounds cool! Do you have any pictures?
I have the pictures in post #2 and here is one of the woofer laying on the baffle on top of one of the tall pipes. I will start a build thread in for my speakers in the multi-way section in the next few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150327_124232.jpg (635.2 KB, 457 views)
Old 9th April 2015, 06:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

How did you cut those rings? The woofer is way bigger than the pipe, so it needs a baffle that can be fixed on the pipe and on which to fit the driver. I bought a router but I have no idea how to fix the baffle to the pipe.
Old 9th April 2015, 06:53 PM   #14
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

use hot glue (gun). and use the saw to make some rough lines so the glue grips (enhances the area of glue attach and stops movement ); also an electric drill to make the surface "rough"
Old 10th April 2015, 02:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan2011 View Post
How did you cut those rings? The woofer is way bigger than the pipe, so it needs a baffle that can be fixed on the pipe and on which to fit the driver. I bought a router but I have no idea how to fix the baffle to the pipe.
I cut the rings out of MDF with a router using a Jasper Circle jig. If you're going to build speakers you have to have a good circle jig. The model 240 makes circles from 1 inch to 18 3/16 inches in 1/16 inch increments. You'll want the polycarbonate version. I used epoxy to glue the rings to the PVC. They are never coming off. I'll show it all in my build thread.

The RS225-8 is actually the perfect size for 8 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe so the rings are just a nice solid mount for the drivers. Here's a picture showing the speaker laying on the pipe over a piece of foam. I actually used the speakers this way while I designed and tested the cross-over. I was surprised by the fantastic sound they produced without being secured to anything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PerfectFit.jpg (176.7 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by glenv6; 10th April 2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10th April 2015, 05:36 AM   #16
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv6 View Post
If you're going to build speakers you have to have a good circle jig.
I never had one. Nor a mic
Old 10th April 2015, 11:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
I never had one. Nor a mic
I like the speed and accuracy of the circle jig. I used a jigsaw at first but spent too much time cleaning up imperfections....
Old 14th April 2015, 05:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Some more recordings:
https://youtu.be/3OJWVE7yS4k
https://youtu.be/WaMlnVfmeZo
Old 14th April 2015, 06:13 PM   #19
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv6 View Post
I cut the rings out of MDF with a router using a Jasper Circle jig. If you're going to build speakers you have to have a good circle jig.
Yeah, a Jasper jig will yield better results than a saw for most speaker building circle cutting needs. I always find it a pain to get the pin thing in the right hole though.

Anyhow, cool PVC pipe speakers! Nice to see someone actually place the driver at 1/3L with a T fitting for the 'mid' pipes. Mostly we just see end loaded TL pipes. I can understand end loading the big ones, as the increase in gain is likely a worthwhile tradeoff, and the exits are distant enough that there probably aren't going to be any huge nulls - compared to room effects anyway.
Old 15th April 2015, 02:50 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Yeah, a Jasper jig will yield better results than a saw for most speaker building circle cutting needs. I always find it a pain to get the pin thing in the right hole though.
The most challenging thing for me was figuring out where to put the pin to cut a disk of a specific size. The jig is designed to cut holes, so if for example you want an 8" disc rather than an 8" hole you have to add 9/16" to the end state measurement so the jig cuts the disk to that desired size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Anyhow, cool PVC pipe speakers! Nice to see someone actually place the driver at 1/3L with a T fitting for the 'mid' pipes. Mostly we just see end loaded TL pipes. I can understand end loading the big ones, as the increase in gain is likely a worthwhile tradeoff, and the exits are distant enough that there probably aren't going to be any huge nulls - compared to room effects anyway.
Thanks! I have to credit Martin King and his spreadsheets for the design. The speakers came out sounding great without second guessing. PVC did allow me to play around with the lengths and I found myself going back to the calculated lengths every time. They just sounded best that way...

PVC pipe speakersHide this!Advertise here!