Built some small vented boxes for FF85WK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2015, 12:33 PM   #1
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Built some small vented boxes for FF85WK

Small being relative, as they're actually on the large side of the range of tunings I found acceptable. About 3.3 liters of gross Vb before driver and bracing subtraction, which probably don't account for that much. Vertical panels are 11mm BB-ply butt-jointed to oak strips I ripped and it's capped at the top and bottom by oak a well. I have some internal bracing tying the panels together. Vent is a PP drain adapter pipe, 1.375" internal diameter by 4" long, bringing Fb to ~75Hz, was aiming for ~80Hz. I'll keep it like this for now and see if I feel I should shorten it or lightly stuff it.

External dimensions are 11.25" height, 5" width and 6" depth.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I went a bit heavy with the sanding on the front panel, which didn't look that dark until I applied tung oil and it really brought out that darker sub-veneer. Oh well, it wouldn't be a true project of mine if there weren't any mistakes. Let's just call it a bit of antiquing...

They sound pretty good! Even not especially close to a wall, they feel fairly balanced, if a bit bright. Their permanent desktop location will have them somewhat closer to a back wall and the nearfield sitting positions will bring the listener in quasi quarter-space, which I find to usually do the job for these kinds of setups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2054.JPG (266.9 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2055.JPG (329.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 1st April 2015, 01:46 PM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

overall they look great - also, that's a very nice size - do you get a good sense of depth with some recordings compared to your AE woof/CD waveguide big speakers? - have you tried them augmented with a little subwoofer?
Old 1st April 2015, 02:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've used FF85WK in a variety of wacky enclosure and always found them to be relatively punchy for such tiny cones, they don't disappoint in this regard loaded in simpler vented box as well. As currently tuned, they can "fake" depth with the slight mid/upper bass emphasis, not a bad thing IMO. I don't have any subwoofer, so can't try that. TD15M is not yet dethroned, not that this was the point.

It's hard to beat small FR drivers for the hobby side of the whole hi-fi thing. It's much simpler and faster, also often cheaper, to churn out fun and usable designs, not to say one can't take it up a notch and get really involved.
Old 1st April 2015, 02:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> It's hard to beat small FR drivers for the hobby side of the whole hi-fi thing. It's much simpler and faster, also often cheaper, to churn out fun and usable designs, not to say one can't take it up a notch and get really involved.

I completely agree!. Little Fostex drivers in little cabinets lead to larger Fostex drivers in larger cabinets... then to several other driver manufacturers, etc.

Consider the flaws in your cabinet part of the fun. I have flaws in all my projects and can totally relate. You made something really nice!
Old 1st April 2015, 03:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Godzilla.

I have notches from unseen end of circular saw cuts and exploding bearing on flush-trim bits on a few of my speakers... Hey, it only adds "character".
Old 1st April 2015, 04:46 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nice…

dave
Old 1st April 2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Ray21 is offline Ray21  United States
diyAudio Member

Great job!
Old 1st April 2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Account disabled at member's request

Nice work. Annoyingly good little driver the 85.
Old 1st April 2015, 06:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think they turned out to be pretty cool looking, and if the sound reproduction is pleasing, then I believe you got a real winner!

Mac
Old 1st April 2015, 06:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

I most likely "stole" the ply+hardwood corners design idea from somewhere, but I can't give credit as it's probably one of the thousands of enclosures I saw pursuing various websites, including a bunch of Asian sites with all sorts of cool and unusual designs.

I was actually building a small jewelery box for my girlfriend's daughter in this very manner and though it wouldn't be harder to do a couple of small reflex boxes while I'm already ripping oak and ply.

Hide this!Advertise here!