Digital Piano Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2015, 11:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Piano Speakers

Hello All,
Haven't been around for a while. I am looking for a couple of full range speakers to use for a digital piano. I'm currently using a Roland 2.1 system which consists of a Sub and 2 satellite speakers. I don't at all like the little satellites, there is way too much resonance coming from the box they're in, even though they're suppose to be for musical instruments. The sub puts out 200 watts, 100 for the sub, and 50 for each satellite speaker. I was thinking of going with 2 Dayton audio PS220 's mounted on a larger piece of plywood, set up in the corner of the small 10 X 13 room. These powered from the roland sub. Would it be reasonable to expect this to work? Would any of you have any other suggestions?
The piano is a Roland V-piano and it does not have its' own built in speakers, but it produces very realistic piano voices. So far the limitation has been the speakers.
Old 30th March 2015, 11:19 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think you need fancy PS220's which are not tonally flat. Try a low cost PA130-8 - they sound fanstastic - much better than their price suggests. They can get quite loud too.

Look at what I did with a PA130 in a Karlsonator and in a Nautaloss FAST.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)
Old 31st March 2015, 12:32 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The Roland CM220 (presumably) shouldn't be that bad.

Still given for what its designed for its going to give
piano no favours, its probably too crude and raucous.

Decent HiFi amplifier and speakers is the way to go.

rgds, sreten.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:52 AM   #4
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I think of 2 oddballs.

1. Maybe some guitar drivers would be a good choice. There're quite some models sounding nice and clean, before overdriven, of course.

2. I remember a guy using tactile transducer on a piece of fur (?) -- said to be the same material as the sound board of a real piano. I believe that'd be amazing.

Oh, er, I myself use some Yamaha drivers on OB which were derived from electone -- sort of ancient digital piano. They sound nice, too.

In addition, I think this older thread is overlapped with this: which FR for typical solo piano?

Last edited by CLS; 31st March 2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 31st March 2015, 02:27 AM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Last weekend I hooked up our Roland HP201 to a Bryston amplifier and large speaker. This improved the bass considerably over the built-in amp/speakers. But the sound quality was still not great considering that the technology is supposed be based on recording actual acoustic piano sounds and then playing them back in response to key actuation. There is the potential with this approach to achieve superb sound. Reluctantly I think the source is inadequate, the speaker is not the limiting factor that I had hoped for. I'm not sure if it's the internal digital data or the internal DAC and so I suspect both. As a result, I think there's an opportunity make a MUCH better sounding electric piano, but they don't seem to want to bother.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 31st March 2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 31st March 2015, 04:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

The Roland CM220 (presumably) shouldn't be that bad.

Still given for what its designed for its going to give
piano no favours, its probably too crude and raucous.

Decent HiFi amplifier and speakers is the way to go.

rgds, sreten.
Well, yes you are correct, the cm220 sounds awesome with the rodgers organ, but it doesent do much for the piano, although the sub is fine. I'm looking for a stronger deeper mid range, and thought that the Dayton's might work well plugged into the sub rather than the roland satellites that came with the cm 220.
Old 31st March 2015, 04:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
I think of 2 oddballs.

1. Maybe some guitar drivers would be a good choice. There're quite some models sounding nice and clean, before overdriven, of course.

2. I remember a guy using tactile transducer on a piece of fur (?) -- said to be the same material as the sound board of a real piano. I believe that'd be amazing.

Oh, er, I myself use some Yamaha drivers on OB which were derived from electone -- sort of ancient digital piano. They sound nice, too.

In addition, I think this older thread is overlapped with this: which FR for typical solo piano?
I was also thinking of this as well for the baffle material. Yamaha's Avant pianos and some of kawai's are going that way by installing their speakers onto a spruce (probably plywood) soundboard, open on both sides.
Old 31st March 2015, 06:20 PM   #8
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi All,

FYI:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x Dayton_PS220-8_Single-Sheet-OB.JPG (856.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 31st March 2015, 08:29 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

These should be a decent option :
X-LS Classic kit
Build a bit smaller, sealed and well stuffed.

rgds, sreten.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:31 AM   #10
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Last weekend I hooked up our Roland HP201 to a Bryston amplifier and large speaker. This improved the bass considerably over the built-in amp/speakers. But the sound quality was still not great considering that the technology is supposed be based on recording actual acoustic piano sounds and then playing them back in response to key actuation. There is the potential with this approach to achieve superb sound. Reluctantly I think the source is inadequate, the speaker is not the limiting factor that I had hoped for. I'm not sure if it's the internal digital data or the internal DAC and so I suspect both. As a result, I think there's an opportunity make a MUCH better sounding electric piano, but they don't seem to want to bother.
Conditioning of the setup could be key - we have a 20 year old Yamaha keyboard just using the internal speakers, and on switch on after a long break the grand piano sound is truly awful, miles from the "real thing", . So the procedure is to hammer the unit for many hours, even days - driving it with MIDI data - at the loudest volume you can tolerate. This steadily stabilises all the internals, and at the end a very presentable grand piano emerges, could easily fool someone who wasn't listening extremely carefully.

So, the samples are fine, and the digital handling prior to the DAC is good - it's all the weaknesses from within the DAC onward that drag down the show -and at least in our case giving everything in the analogue side a heavy workout throws off the cobwebs ... .

Hide this!Advertise here!