Greetings Alpair 6M - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2015, 04:41 AM   #1
djverne is offline djverne  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Greetings Alpair 6M

Greetings!

I am somewhat new to this forum but have read a lot of posts for the last year. I started dabbling in speaker building earlier this winter. A few full range drivers I have been experimenting with are the Mark Audio Alpair 6M, 6P, and CHBW.

The 6M has been my favorite of the bunch. I have tried several variations of the “Golden Ratio Bass Reflex design” posted on the Mark Audio Website. The pictures below are a pair I completed mid-December and then a pair I am finishing up currently. The Darker ones are actually completed now with the front ports.

To sum things up the current design with a little digital EQ is one of the most enjoyable near field design I have had in front of me of the different setups I have had over the years (Mackie, Blue Sky Media Desk, PMC, KRK, M-audio). I feel as though the Alpair 6M is a very overlooked driver. I am very happy with this modified design. It may have a been a fluke but it turned out well. Hope to post more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpair 1 (2).jpg (393.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Alpair 2 (1).jpg (389.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Alpair 3.jpg (326.7 KB, 232 views)
Old 30th March 2015, 05:58 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Hi djverne,

Welcome and good to hear about your experiences. Nice, compact builds you have there.

What amp are you using?
Old 30th March 2015, 01:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am using the SMSL 36A pro, with Yaqin tube buffer on the front end. The tubes are the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle tubes. The sound is awesome for near field/moderate listening levels. I listen to a lot of ambient electronic music and this is truly the most satisfying setup I have had for non fatiguing reasonable listening levels. (I have had Fritz speakers, Pmc, Merlin, Dynaudio, Harbeth, Neat Petite, with Hegel, Job, Nad, Exposure, Rogue,Flying Mole, Class D, (FYI Exposure amps are my favorite). It thumps, is warm, fast, and draws you in, nice sound-stage, and a tonality that reaches out and warms you like a fine glass of scotch. Her are some more picks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150330_09_06_04_Pro.jpg (335.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150330_09_06_58_Pro.jpg (404.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150330_08_12_11_Pro.jpg (356.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150330_09_07_23_Pro.jpg (309.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 30th March 2015, 02:58 PM   #4
knarfor is offline knarfor  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful cabinets! What species of wood is the darker set made of?
Old 30th March 2015, 07:08 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

tell us more about the amp - cute little package for sure

nice work - yes the A6s are too easily overlooked - which is a shame
Old 31st March 2015, 04:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The front panels of the darker pair are “Wenge” an exotic hard wood from Africa. Once it warms up outside I will be able to sand them and then use a Tung oil finish.

The second lighter pair is Baltic Birch with a cherry veneer. I have never veneered anything before so it was a fun learning process. These speakers are now being layered with deft lacquer spray in preparation for hopefully a nice shinny finish.

The SMSL 36A pro is a small little digital amp based on Texas Instruments TPA3118D2. It is somewhat popular on these forums and I can see why. It’s refined, transparent, and non-fatiguing. While it does have its limitations (power and low end authority) Paired with the Yaqin tube buffer and Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle tubes, a nice amount of tone, texture, and bloom is added making for a very satisfying music experience.

I had another variation of this design which used a passive woofer instead of the port on the front. It added a nice amount low end extension but ultimately had a little too much bloom in my near field setting.

I’m really happy with this design. I Hope to post more pics as I finish the second pair.

Hide this!Advertise here!