sleeper of the year?, Pioneer A11 substitute - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2015, 12:10 AM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default sleeper of the year?, Pioneer A11 substitute

I have fond memories of Pioneer A11 (el cheapo) fullrange 4.5". For me, it was excellent for my needs mainly jazz, vocals, etc. Since the original is not being produced, I ordered these "replacement" GRS 4FR-8 Full-Range 4-1/2" Speaker Pioneer Type A11EC80-02F 8 Ohm

I used the recommended vented bookshelf below. I am very surprised at the quality of the sound for $8. Bass is extended and extension to high frequency is more than adequate. For my use with low power D-amps, 91dB sensitivity is definitely a plus. In my opinion these are better than the original Pioneer A11...

here is a youtube video I uploaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSv...m-upload_owner

So if u don't want spend much $$, it is a hobby after all, with a surprising good sound try these.
Attached Images
File Type: png GRS-PE-small.png (13.8 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-29--06.22.150002.jpg (710.5 KB, 613 views)

Last edited by gychang; 29th March 2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: uploaded video on youtube
Old 29th March 2015, 12:19 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

good - -sounds like a contender - is that a real cloth surround ? - - - for a larger diameter bargain speaker, I'm fond of Visaton's BG20 - but its already well known
Old 29th March 2015, 12:22 AM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip! At $8 they do sound like quite the bargain. I really am enjoying these cheap pro audio drivers from Dayton too. A very "sweet" presentation of vocals with excellent low distortion and convincing rendition of high hats etc. - the PA130-8 is also a bargain at $18.
Dayton Audio PA130-8 5" Full Range PA Driver

If you want to get a sense of how they sound, here are some clips with them high passed at 225Hz in a FAST with a KaZba bass unit.
Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)
Old 29th March 2015, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've been enjoying the PA130-8 the past few weeks on OB on top of H-frames. They do a lot more right than wrong. No tweeter necessary IMO. The GRS looks like an OB candidate too.
Old 29th March 2015, 08:45 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

PA130-8 rocks in a 0.53x K'nator.
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Old 31st March 2015, 07:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use a goldwood 1016 piezo as a helper for pa-i30. I might try the grs 4fr in something.
Old 31st March 2015, 07:59 PM   #7
IG81 is online now IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

I used to own a pair of the Pioneer-branded A11's. They never really updated the specs from back when the motor was stronger and still published Qts~0.35. In reality, they measured more along the lines of the GRS published specs, so you gotta give them that!
Old 11th April 2015, 03:14 AM   #8
dsm is offline dsm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I have fond memories of Pioneer A11 (el cheapo) fullrange 4.5". For me, it was excellent for my needs mainly jazz, vocals, etc. Since the original is not being produced, I ordered these "replacement" GRS 4FR-8 Full-Range 4-1/2" Speaker Pioneer Type A11EC80-02F 8 Ohm

I used the recommended vented bookshelf below. I am very surprised at the quality of the sound for $8. Bass is extended and extension to high frequency is more than adequate. For my use with low power D-amps, 91dB sensitivity is definitely a plus. In my opinion these are better than the original Pioneer A11...

here is a youtube video I uploaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSv...m-upload_owner

So if u don't want spend much $$, it is a hobby after all, with a surprising good sound try these.
+1

Amazing little driver for cheap.
Old 24th April 2015, 01:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, they are good. I am the resident Bose 901 pimp and procurer here and I've posted that these drivers are a good or at least ok replacement for stock 901 series I and II (CTS) drivers. Recently I've tried MCM and bought some of their cheapest 4.5". Haven't tried them yet, but they sure are cheap, and probably a poorer replacement, just the magnets are much smaller. But I'm cheap, and you get what you pay for...usually.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang;
here is a youtube video I uploaded. [url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSvbP-rky4&feature=em-upload_owner[/url]

Greg, I listened to your video with the drivers in the taller cabinets, and I think the sound was fantastic! Who would have thought that a driver in a lower price range would sound so good? I may do a build with them for my garage workshop, as I currently have no music out there. Thanks for sharing your findings and the demo video.

Mac

Hide this!Advertise here!