High-end 2-way tower (Revelator, Excel, Satori) kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

Well I had my hear set on building Bagby's Kairos but wife says no monitors, they might fall over on the kids. She might be right.

So I am left with towers. I could do Bagby's Kairos or Adelphos (Satori) as a tower but I am basically wasting the potential volume of the tower. I want to use revelators/Seas excel/Satori or some driver along those lines, quality-wise.

I started looking at Zaph's ZRT (revelator/6600) but there seems to be a lot of people disappointed and having issues. I am not sure if it's the design or implementation but I am not going to drop $1000 on something that might have issues. If you have experience with this let me know.

Troels stuff looks good but the crossovers are complex which also means they are expensive.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'd prefer a TM 2-way from a cost standpoint...but I'd be open to a MTM or 2.5 way. I will be driving these with a Pass F5 (about 35W), it's been my experience that a 85db speaker can be driven with this class a amp if the impedance curve isn't too crazy. Which is why I like the Zaph ZRT and bagby satori.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Both of those speakers are great designs from what I have seen. But since you are posting in the full range forum may I suggest something along the lines of a FAST? A 2-way with a good full range on top and a woofer with a low XO.

The full range will give you great imaging, soundstage, realism etc because it is a phase and time coherent point source. The woofer off loads bass duties so full range doesn't have much excursion keeping HD and IMD low.

For 85dB sensitivity - I can recommend the Scan Speak 10F/8424 in a small 2 liter sealed or short 13in long tapered TL. For bass I recommend any good 8in woofer with good xmax, and a strong motor with moderate Qts for fairly deep bass extension in a sealed. A Peerless, or one of Bagby's favorite carbon fiber cone woofers might work.

Get a miniDSP 2x4 and a pair of TPA3116D2 amps to develop and work out the XO in DSP first.

If you want to get a sense of what a FAST can sound like, check out these sound clips:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270614-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers-51.html#post4266029

These are using some antique full range drivers. The 10F/8424 will probably sound even better as it is a top of the line $100 driver vs a $0.69 driver in one case. The trick here is that they are high passed at 225Hz and bass duties are done in a dual driver XKi with two Tang Bamd W5-876SE's. A single sealed box 8in will be cleaner sounding.

Just to give you some options if going the full range approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.