Special Sauces and Tweaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
which PE #? - can't get the link to work -PA130 and the MCM equivalent are pretty smooth from the getgo - thinned damar is ok on piezo paper cones - Magnetar liked Behlens violin varnish - does Bastanis use oil mixed with varnish? (assuming the two can mix -?)

Make Your Own Oil/Varnish Blend - The Wood Whisperer

Oh, mine is Legned 125 in that photo, a pretty wild sounding one. I cut the dust cap and added a wood plug. It became very much tamed after all the mods.

Just plain white PVA for woodwork. No particular ratio, I just added water slowly and stopped when it felt right via a small brush. 2 or 3 coats. Sometimes I painted only on front surface, sometimes on both sides. Don't remember the condition on this one, though.

Does PVA make breakup peaks go away? Especially major ones circa 9kHz to 12kHz ones on small 4in full range paper drivers?

Has anyone tried airplane fabric covering butyrate dope? There are two varieties: taughthening (shrinks on drying) and non-taughthenting. This can be used to re-seal fabric surrounds. Maybe a thin coat on cones can work. Maybe brushed into cloth spider can stiffen suspension.

What about gluing strips of foam or EVA on the cone backside?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does PVA make breakup peaks go away? Especially major ones circa 9kHz to 12kHz ones on small 4in full range paper drivers?

It can.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Comparison-FE127eN-FR.gif
    Comparison-FE127eN-FR.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 570
PVA isn't all the same. I tried diluted elmers once and it sounded plasticky to my ears. A lot of people like Mod Podge, and IMO that's a better way to go if you want to try PVA's.

For Fostex, I my favorite sauce is still a thin coat of dammar. The sound will be clearer and yet organic, and it gets rid of the papery shimmer. For FExxx series drivers, I like shellac on the whizzers and paper dustcaps, followed by dammar on the whole thing. This helps prevent any excessive dulling.

These treatments may not get rid of the peaks, but it will IME soften them. If combined with a proper contour filter or EQ, it will sound better than EQ alone.

Foam strips? done that too. Easy thing is to use foam mounting tape. This will however convert your full range driver into a woofer. Save it for cheap MCM aluminum drivers IMO. Actually, (cellouloid) scotch tape strips are nicer for damping metal cones.

Airplane dope is worth a try I think. That's one I never experimented with. I'd imagine nitrate and butyrate dopes would have different effects.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I confess I did not know what Damar was. Saw it at the art store: $10 a little jar. Made from resin of a special tree dissolved in turpentine and used by oil paint masters of long ago. Also used to give sheen to food so apparently non toxic when used with turpentine. Nothing special - seems like water based acrylic gloss clear coat for $2 a jar from same store can work as well? Just a semi flexible damping layer.

not used it for a decade and can't find the bottle - very pleasant - a blurb indicates 1% vanilla content (?) - IIRC, its aroma is probably more useful than its damping effect at times - can't remember how thinning with turpentine alters the scent. Someone must have a better description.

I'd like to know ~ what Bastanis adds to violin varnish and how he cooks the treatment. On his woofers, he uses small round self-adhesive furniture pads to aid in smooth rolloff.

cool about contact cement - how wide was each strip? - were the first set done in a cross pattern?

BVR with floor exit - called a "horn"- this would make a fun knockoff with small footprint
materhornleben012Large_zps7fa8294e.jpg
Matterhorn-Seite-62.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.