FE103EN vs. FE103-SOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've decided to sell my Paradigm floorstanders and am thinking of picking up the Madisound Fostex P1000e Kanspea kit just to listen to until I find something more suitable. The kit is available with the FE103EN, FF105WK, and FE103-SOL drivers.

Is any of these drivers more versatile for trying in different enclosures in the future? Most of what I see (i.e. Buschhorn mkii, ZigmaHornet MLTL) seems designed for the FE103EN. Would -EN version be interchangeable with the -SOL version in most enclosures?

Also, has any one listened to the Fostex-designed stand-mounted horn for the FE103-SOL? Listening impressions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
The 105 is technically a little more flexible as far as a variety of loads are concerned.

Actually, neither of the cabinets mentioned were designed for the 103En. The Buschorn Mk2 was designed for the old 3in FE83, while the Zigmahornet was designed for the old 103E (and wasn't great as far as load was concerned in any case). Ideally you'll want to be designing for the specific unit, though for a larger horn, you'd be able to use the SOL and En interchangeably, which isn't to say they'll perform in precisely the same way of course.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FF105WK

My experience with the FF105WK, although limited to a FAST setup, is valid for the upper registers where I have a problem. It has a very prominent peak at 7.5kHz, which some may find adds "life" to certain vocals. There is also an exaggerated high plateau from 1.5kHz to 4kHz that sounds very forward. Without EQ, my ears could not take more than 5 minutes before fatigue sets in. Additionally, the 7.5kHz peak causes ringing which makes transients less sharp. However, once I EQ'd out that peak and high shelf - all sounds very nice and balanced. Quite an enjoyable driver now with good sensitivity (some of which was lost in EQ). Here is response before and after EQ (blue is raw FF105WK, black is after EQ, grey is TC9FD):

470984d1426065844-fe103en-vs-fe103-sol-image.jpg

The setup is same as for "Subjective blind comparisons..." thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,988
Last edited:
I'd say the SOL is just about the best fullranger I have ever listened to. Were it not for its pretty tight dynamic range and general restrictions in volume it would be the best driver ever to me.
Haven't heard the 105, but have listened to the 85, which has the same signature allegedly. Easier to get bass out of than the SOL. But the detail, sweetness and excellent off axis of the SOL isn't quite there.
The regular 103 is also a good driver, but I don't remember being quite as shocked by it as by the SOL.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Interesting. OK, thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll go with the 105 or the 103-SOL.

xrk971: how did you use EQ? Was it a setting on your amp? A crossover network? I'm a complete noob and there's a lot I don't know yet.

It was done using a miniDSP which provided both the XO and EQ for a FAST implementation as described here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270094-objective-comparison-3in-4in-class-full-range-drivers.html

The specific EQ for the FF105WK was implemented using 6 different parametric EQ's as shown here (basically an approximation of the inverse of the response above "flat" from 500Hz to 8kHz):

471034d1426092348-fe103en-vs-fe103-sol-ff105wk-fast-eq.png

Attachments

• ff105wk-FAST-EQ.png
    ff105wk-FAST-EQ.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,755
I'd say the SOL is just about the best fullranger I have ever listened to. Were it not for its pretty tight dynamic range and general restrictions in volume it would be the best driver ever to me.
Haven't heard the 105, but have listened to the 85, which has the same signature allegedly. Easier to get bass out of than the SOL. But the detail, sweetness and excellent off axis of the SOL isn't quite there.
The regular 103 is also a good driver, but I don't remember being quite as shocked by it as by the SOL.

Thanks for that feedback. We don't hear a lot about the special edition drivers. Sounds like the FE103-SOL is another fullrange I'd like to try.

Also, has any one listened to the Fostex-designed stand-mounted horn for the FE103-SOL? Listening impressions?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sorry, i didn't know of the driver until this thread. To me that horn's impedance plot looks scary in the lower regions.

I would be more interested in knowing if and how that FE103SOL would do in Scott L's Sperrin Woden Design | Sperrin
Vampyr- V may be another possible option, idk, Woden Design | Vampyr-V

...wonder about some type of D'appolito design with super tweeter or high x-over ribbon between two of the 16Ω SOL's for a small space higher efficiency speaker...

Last edited:

Hi !

which enclosure you use for the 103 SOL ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Correct RS 40-1197 and it also says FE103 right under the RS 40-1197 on the back of the magnet.

The RS 40-1197 measures very nicely - quite flat and smooth and is 90.3dB at 2.83v sensitive and Qts of 0.417 from DATS. I don't see the peaks that are present in the FE103SOL data sheet.

Here is DATS V2 measurement:
472924d1426934809-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers-40-1197-ts.png

Here is the response in my FAST setup - it's almost as smooth as the TC9FD but 90dB sensitive:
472927d1426935691-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers-40-1197-xki-fast-xo.png

This is excellent performance and could be why these are selling for $70 online.

Here is FE103SOL factory measurement - note the 10dB bump at 9kHz and 15kHz - not there in the RS 40-1197. Is the FE103SOL moving backwards?:
FE103-SOL-8-curve.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.