FE103EN vs. FE103-SOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Correct RS 40-1197 and it also says FE103 right under the RS 40-1197 on the back of the magnet.

That is true, i have had many RS40-1197 (40-50?). FE103 is probably better thot of as a family. Current FE103 are quite different than RS40-1197, as were Fostex FE103 of the day (althou they did share a basket -- same basket as the 30+ year older FE103A). In 2000 the FE103 received a new basket and considerable revision. It was changed again in the last 3-4 years to FE103En which is different enuff that it won't fit the same reflex boxes.

But i know you have a penchnt formally-nilly putting drivers in boxes that weren't designed for them.

dave

It bears repeating that the "Anniversary" designation refers to the fact that this driver has evolved continuously for 50yrs - during which time every individual component has changed numerous times. Probably the only thing that remains the same is the diameter of the mounting through hole.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
But you have in the past, and you suggested the 1197 enclosure for the quite different SOL.

dave

Such as? The Nautaloss sealed TL and Daggers are the only boxes I use as a universal enclosure on a FAST. The TL for the SOL was also designed specifically for the SOL's TS parameters. You make it sound like I take random enclosures and stick drivers in to see. All my speakers except the Nautaloss and Dagger are modeled and fine tuned with sims.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Isn't that enuff… and your FF105 TL, and i have you seen you recommend xx% karsonator for many different drivers.

dave

They are all sim'd before recommending. I never recommend a driver with a scaled Karlsonator without running a sim with TS parameters.

As for the sealed boxes - that was purely to keep a single enclosure for use in Blind Comparison threads where only the mid and HF's are used and enclosure just needs to not color the sound with back reflections.

You know what? You are a troll because all I did was show an 1197 in a Karlsonator designed for it and you go off attacking me and accusing me of throwing random drivers in random boxes. Puhleez just stop. I am not going to respond to your posts anymore.

Last edited:
Here is FE103SOL factory measurement - note the 10dB bump at 9kHz and 15kHz - not there in the RS 40-1197. Is the FE103SOL moving backwards?:
FE103-SOL-8-curve.jpg

The impedance is much flatter. It must have a shorting ring. Looks to be about 10 ohms at 10kHz vs 20 ohms. That would partially explain the increased output ~ 9 to 15k. That is just above the sibilance range.

Treble peaks that high actually can be somewhat controlled by doping, etc. For me, Fostex drivers all should be modded and tweaked. It's almost like they were designed for it.

Correct, sounds like crap to me, as well.

I just got a pair of FE103SOLs in a couple weeks ago and they are my current favorite Fostex drivers - even better than the FF85WK to my ears. Really amazing, actually. More "presence" than the FF85WKs and better top and midrange than the FF105WKs.

*Forgot to add that I use MiniDSP to notch out any zingers and flatten out the rising response a bit. So all drivers above have very similar response curves at the listening position when they are being used.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.